Wednesday 18 December 2013

Festive Maids of Honour

My hubby loves Christmas treats and particularly loves traditional Christmas bakes.
He knows how I love trying out new bakes and putting my twist on things so we have compromised, I will bake traditional bakes as well as my new ones!
So when he asked me to make some maid of honours I knew I had to do my own style!
No traditional raspberry jam in these!
I have made 3 different filled maids of honour.
I have used homemade plum jam, cranberry sauce and marmalade.
I have not made a traditional sponge either.
I have gone for a festive spiced sponge to make them even more Christmassy!
Here is what I got...
 
Festive Maids of Honour
 
Ingredients
 
Pastry
 
165g plain flour
25g ground almonds
120g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
55g caster sugar
1 medium egg
 
Filling
 
100g baking spread
100g caster sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
100g self raising flour
1tspn mixed spice
Jam/Marmalade/Cranberry sauce
 
Method
 
1 - Put the flour, ground almonds, sugar and butter into a food processor and blitz until you have breadcrumbs
 
2 - Add the egg and blitz until it the ingredients come together
 
3 - Remove and work a little and make into ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for about 3 hours
 
4 - When your pastry is chilled roll out and cut out the bases. With this amount of pastry you should get about 24
 
Pre heat the oven to 180C
 
5 - To make you spiced sponge cream the butter then add the sugar and continue to mix until light and creamy
 
6 - Gradually add the eggs along with a little flour to prevent curdling
 
7 - Sift in the flour and mixed spice and mix until evenly combined
 
8 - In the pastry case place a teaspoon of the jam, marmalade or cranberry sauce
 
9 - Place on top of the jam a teaspoon of the cake mixture
 
10 - Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes
 
11 - Remove from the pie tray and cool on a cooling rack
 
Once the Maids of Honor have cooled sprinkle over some icing sugar and decorate how ever you like.
These are delicious little treats and are a great, lighter alternative to mince pies.
My favourite is the cranberry Maid of Honor, I love the light sponge with the sharpness that the cranberry adds. But they are so versatile and you can add what ever fruit filling that you like.
Enjoy x
 
 
 
The Christmas Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps and Helen at The Crazy Kitchen


mummy mishaps

1 comment:

  1. Kirsty i have never heard of Maids of Honour before but they sound delcious and they look very festive
    thank you once again for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x