Saturday 18 January 2014

Creamy Chicken and Tarragon Puff Pastry Pie - 52 Cook Books

When I was looking through my cook books I came across the Winter Recipe Collection that my hubby bought for me quite a while ago.
 
As with a lot of my books, I look through them, find recipes that I want to try then the books get put on the shelf and I forget what I wanted to do!
 
When I was looking through the Winter Recipe Collection I came across a recipe for Creamy Chicken and Tarragon Pie.
 
I love the combination of chicken and tarragon so I knew that I would love this pie.
For more information on this book click the link below!
 
However, as always, I made a few changes.
 
Starting with the pastry.
 
The recipe uses a shortcrust pastry, which I could have made but I have been looking for a dish to make where I can try making puff pastry. This is a pastry that I have never made before as it is a time consuming pastry to make. But it is something that I have wanted to try so this dish gave me the perfect opportunity!
 
I looked in the best place that I could think of for how to make puff pastry, Paul Hollywood's Pie and Puds. It has an easy, but time consuming, step by step guide on how to make and prepare the pastry. For more information on this great book follow the link below!
 
This is what I got...
 
 
Creamy Chicken and Tarragon Puff Pastry Pie
 
Ingredients
 
400g chicken breast, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 large courgette, sliced and quartered
1 large leek, sliced
2 stems of kale, shredded
2 tsp dried tarragon
500 mls chicken stock
2 tbsp plain flour
150ml half fat creme fraiche
Puff Pastry
 
Method
 
1 - Heat the olive oil and brown off the chicken. Once browned remove from the pan.
 
2 - Add the onions, leeks and courgettes to the pan and fry until cooked through then add the chicken back to the pan.
 
3 - Add the flour then gradually add the stock.
 
4 - Add the shredded kale and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
 
5 - Preheat the oven to 200C
 
6 - Once the filling is cooked through remove from the heat and stir in the creme fraiche.
 
7 - Pour the pie filling into a pie dish and put to one side while the pastry is prepared. You may have some excess sauce, if you do keep it to one side as it makes a great sauce to pour over potatoes.
 
8 - Roll the pastry to the desired size and lay over the pie and trim off any excess pastry, pinch around the edges to seal, brush with egg wash and make a hole in the centre to let any hot air escape.
 
9 - Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown.
 
I served this delicious pie with new potatoes and poured over some of the sauce that I had left over.
This pie has a great depth of flavour, it is a really rich, creamy sauce that goes perfectly with the kitchen.
Whether you follow my recipe or the original recipe I am sure that it will go down well with all of the family. Joseph quickly asked for seconds!
Enjoy
 

 
52 Cook Books is hosted by the lovely Mary at Keynko. Check out the fantastic way to make homemade gnocchi!
Keynko
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds yummy, I do occasionally east chicken and we often use quorn as a substitute, I think we may have a go at this! thank you again for joining in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it with quorn, I'm sure it would be just as delicious! Thank you for hosting x

      Delete
  2. ooooh yummy i love chicken and tarragon and well done you on making some homemade puff pastry! i have yet to make my own - i really must x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise that I needed to let it chill for 7 hours before I even started to fold in the butter and had everything prepared for the pie so had to put it off a day! xx

      Delete
  3. looks like your pastry turned out great! well done..I loved my puff pastry when I made it, but it is quite time consuming. The pie looks & sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased with how it turned out but its a shame it takes so long to prepare! xx

      Delete
  4. oh well done mrd for doing your own puff lots of patients and care needed to get nice layers and what a fab flavour too yum lucky family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The filling was delicious and I did enjoy making the puff pastry xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x