Wednesday 4 October 2017

Revamp Your Breakfast!

This month I am following a diet that helps to promote lowering my cholesterol. I am doing this with HeartUk to help promote National Cholesterol Month.

Cholesterol is a silent killer that is effecting over half of all adults. But this month I am going to show you how with a few little changes you can help to prevent a high level of cholesterol.

One meal which I need to pay more attention to is breakfast. Now that I am going to work in the morning gone are my relaxing breakfasts once the kids are at school. I will admit to skipping breakfast more than I would like to. This is mainly down to time but also I get bored with the same old cereals. So with this in mind I thought that I would have a go at revamping my cereals. I have done it in two ways that I am going to share with you today.

Do you ever find yourself sitting, whilst having your breakfast, thinking how boring your everyday cereal is? I know I do and no matter how hard you look it is so hard to find the perfect bowl of granola or muesli. There is always something that is missing or an addition that you do not like. That is why the hubby and I decided to make our own. We started with a simple granola and jumbo rolled oats then added our own additions to create a bespoke cereal. The results were so easy to achieve but they have literally transformed our breakfast bowls from boring to a taste sensation! Each spoonful gives a different taste, a different texture and we love it!

In this post I am going to give you some ideas what to add and the rest is up to you!

This is what I did...


Bespoke Breakfast

Ingredients

Simple granola
Oats
Dried banana chips
Almonds
Pistachios
Desiccated coconut
Chia seeds
Dried mango
Raisins
Sultanas
Dried apple
Goji berries
Walnuts
Candied peel

Method

The above list of ingredients are simply ideas for what to add that is the beauty of this cereal. Ingredients can be taken off and added according to each individual taste.


I do not tend to measure the ingredients, instead I go by the size of the container in which I am going to store the cereals. I usually fill the container 2 thirds of the way with oats and/or granola then the fun starts!



I try to have an even balance between fruits and nuts. This can me a mixture of nuts and fruits but I find if I have half of each there is a good balance between the sweetness of the fruits and the nutty flavours. Then you can add extras like chia seeds which are a great source of fibre or desiccated coconut which adds an extra texture and flavour.


As I said before the possibilities are endless and no bowl will be the same as the last!


What ingredients would you add to this?

Enjoy x


Hijacked By Twins
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

5 comments:

  1. This looks lovely & I do love nuts & granola, but if I have granola in the house I eat it all too quickly ! Sam applies for nuts so I only try & buy them when I need them for baking. I'm lucky as I can still enjoy my leisurely breakfasts when the kids have gone to school, around about now - 10am! If I was leaving the house to go to work I would have to take it with me, 7 or 8am is far too early for me to think about eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be the healthiest breakfast idea on the planet! I would make mine with all the ingredients you list apart from raisins and dried apple, as I am not a fan of these. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely! Heart health is such an important topic but I think it's one that people often don't talk about because focusing on reducing cholesterol can seem inconvenient...but as I always say, it's not as inconvenient as a heart attack! Thanks for such a healthy breakfast idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. This cereal looks really delicious. I like the sound of adding coconut, I also like flaked almonds in cereals. Breakfast is so important so we might as well make it delicious! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  5. High cholesterol is a problem in my family so I will most definitely be taking note of this recipe. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x