Friday 11 August 2017

Banana and Date Loaf

Not many people like getting really ripe bananas. But I love them as it means they are perfectly ripe for baking! I even look on the reduced section and whenever there are any there I stock up. They are also delicious frozen then blended into an ice cream, but that is another blog post!

This recipe has become a firm favourite. The banana makes it a lovely moist cake while the dates give it a toffee like flavour. Combined together you get a banoffee style loaf which is great as it is or with a layer of butter.

This is what I did...

Banana and Date Loaf

Ingredients

150g spelt flour
100g self raising flour
4 ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs
3tbsp vanilla yogurt
4tbsp malt extract
50g chopped dried dates

Method

Preheat the oven to 160C

1 - Place the flours in a large mixing bowl

2 - In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla yogurt, malt extract and the dates

3 - Pour the wet ingredients into the flour and mix thoroughly

4 - Spoon the mixture into a large loaf tin that has been lined and greased

5 - Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 60 minutes, check after 45 minutes and if the top is brown enough cover with foil

6 - Once the loaf is thoroughly baked remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack



I love the natural sweetness from the bananas and the malt extract is a fantastic ingredient for a boost of energy!


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Sharing with...
Hijacked By Twins

7 comments:

  1. Yep! Me too! Love over-ripe bananas for the creativity they hold. And let's face it, you can't beat a good banana bread xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a slightly banoffee tasting banana loaf. Overripe bananas are great for baking and in summer I find I have a few too many to eat almost every week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of ripe bananas on their own, but I can certainly see the attraction of making banana bread especially when it tastes like banoffee! Thankyou too for joining in with #BakingCrumbs Kirsty,
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so with you when it comes to overripe bananas, love them! I like how you have used dates to sweeten the loaf. The only time I have used them in baking would be in sticky toffee pudding but it's a great idea to use their natural sugars in your loaf. Yum! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a nice way to use and eat dates! I love anything banana bread, so I am definite that I'd love this. Thank you for sharing, Kirsty & for hosting #CookBlogShare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, overripe bananas are perfect for banana bread (or if I don't have time, I freeze them for smoothies instead!) - love the idea of adding dates! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a really great recipe for a healthy yet indulgent breakfast! I love that there is no sugar in this! Malt extract sounds interesting too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x