Sunday 23 February 2014

Garlic and Oregano Fougasse

I love baking bread and this is a recipe that I have been meaning to try for a long time!
It is a recipe from the book that started me on my bread baking journey.
That book is How To Bake by Paul Hollywood.
 
 
Fougasse is the French version of focaccia, which is a bread that we always enjoy and one I love trying new flavours with.
We found that this bread has a much more crispy crust than focaccia, but still as tasty and fun to shape!
The recipe uses oregano for the finish. As this was a bread that I planned to serve with my beef and vegetable cannelloni I decided to make a garlic and oregano olive oil topping for the bread.
This is how I made this delicious alternative to garlic bread...
 
Garlic and Oregano Fougasse
 
Ingredients
 
250g strong white bread flour
4g salt
5g yeast
3tbsp olive oil
190ml water
2tsp dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, crushed
 
Method
 
I found that this was quite a wet dough and was easier to make using my mixer with the dough hook
 
1 - Place the flour into the bowl
 
2 - Add the salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other, ensuring that they do not come into contact with each other, add 1tbsp of olive oil and two thirds of the water
 
3 - Start to mix on a low speed, once the dough starts to come together add the remaining water
 
4 - Continue to mix on a medium speed for about 10 minutes until the dough has formed elasticity
 
5 - Tip the dough into a well oiled plastic container and cover
 
6 - Leave to prove until the dough has doubled in size, I found that it took longer to prove than regular bread so allow a good 2 hours
 
7 - Once the dough has doubled in size, tip out on to a well floured work top, use plenty of flour as I found this to be quite a sticky dough
 
8 - Without knocking out to much air coat the dough with flour and place on a floured baking tray
 
9 - Shape the dough into an oval shape and cut several slits to create the holes, using plenty of flour stretch the holes, cover and prove again for about 30 minutes
 
10 - While the dough is proving again pre heat the oven to 200C fan and make the topping by mixing the oregano and crushed garlic in a bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil
 
11 - Once the dough is ready to be baked cover the top of the bread with the garlic and oregano olive oil mixture
 
12 - Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom
 

 
This bread is a delicious alternative to garlic bread and would go perfectly with any Italian meal!
We certainly enjoyed it with my Beef and Vegetable Cannelloni
Enjoy x
 
 
I am sharing this post with Keynko's 52 Cook Books. Check out Mary's Butternut Squash and Goats Cheese Lasagne which looks delicious at 52 Cook Books
Keynko A Crafty Family
 


9 comments:

  1. that still looks great, but your cannilloni looks amazing i sold my PH book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that book too much to sell it :-) the cannelloni was yummy too x

      Delete
  2. You're so clever! Or maybe just patient. I love speciality breads but I just don't have the patience to do all the work involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking bread is my favourite! I love everything about it, particularly eating fresh warm bread! x

      Delete
  3. This looks fab and very professional. I like the idea of having fougasse instead of garlic bread too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nice change and a good excuse for me to try baking a different bread x

      Delete
  4. There's nothing quite like the smell of fresh bread! Thank you for joining in -sorry I'm late getting back to you x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be one of the best smells! Thank you for hosting x

      Delete
  5. I so enjoy your site and your recipes. Would you please consider adding a print option so we can enjoy your recipes a little more easily. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x