Wednesday 26 February 2014

Twins Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Birthday Cake

I spent a lot of time planning what I was going to bake for the twins second birthday cake.
I will admit that I did have bigger plans for this cake.
I had planned to bake the cake over two days and send the third day decorating it ready for their big day. Unfortunately the whole family, including myself, fell ill. So this meant that I did not have the time that I wanted to prepare and decorate.
However, even though this cake was done quickly and not as I had originally planned, I am still really pleased with the outcome and the twins loved it!
When they saw it they kept say "Clubhouse Cake!" then when they saw what, or should I say, who was in the cake they loved it even more!
This is how I made it...

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Cake

Ingredients

Mickey Mouse Cake

200g spread
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
150g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
25g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder

Main Cake

400g spread
400g caster sugar
8 eggs
350g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
1tsp vanilla paste

Method

Pre heat the oven to 160C

1 - First prepare the Mickey Mouse part of the cake by creaming the spread and caster sugar together until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs along with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and ground almonds, adding any leftover almonds to the mix

4 - Mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined

5 - Place the mixture in a greased square cake tin and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when place through the centre of the cake

6 - Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool completely

7 - Once the cake has completely cooled, cut the cake in half with a cake slicer

8 - Take a Mickey Mouse shaped cutter and cut out chocolate sponge Mickey Mouse shapes and place on one side


9 - Next make the vanilla sponge by creaming together the spread and sugar until light and creamy

10 - Gradually add the eggs along with a little flour to prevent curdling

11 - Add the vanilla paste and mix in

12 - Sift in the flour and ground almonds, adding any leftover almonds to the mixture

13 - Mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined
14 - Place an even layer of cake mixture in the square cake tin making sure that the base is well covered

15 - Next take your Mickey Mouse shaped pieces of cake and stand them up in a line making sure that the pieces fit closely together


16 - Gently spoon in the remaining cake mixture making sure that all of the chocolate sponge pieces are completely covered

17 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven (160C) and bake for about 1 1/4 hours making sure that it is thoroughly baked by carefully placing a knife through the centre and comes out clean
18 - Remove from the tin and cool on a cooling rack
Once the cake has cooled you can decorate as you wish. I covered the cake with a thin layer of strawberry jam and butter icing before covering with fondant icing. I then decorated the top with the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse picture.
This was the first time that I have baked a cake with a hidden surprise and will not be the last, it certainly had the wow factor when people were served their cake with the Mickey Mouse shape in the middle!
Enjoy x

 


I am sharing my Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake with Casa Costello's cake of the week. This is the first time I have shared my cake here and will be looking forward to sharing more! Check out the delicious looking Cadbury's Cream Egg Cheesecake at Casa Costello Cake of the Week

Casa Costello

I am also sharing this cake with Mummy Makes Cakes Celebration Cakes and Bakes. Check out the beautiful Valentines biscuits at Mummy Makes Cakes


CelebrationCakesAndBakes

I am also sharing this cake with The Purple Pumpkin Blog and Dreaming of WDW's 100 Days Of Disney

Join in with the #100DaysOfDisney Link Party!

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the mickey design inside the cake really gives it that extra special touch! Looks yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really pleased with how the inside came out as I really wasn't sure how it would be as I didn't get chance to practice! x

      Delete
  2. This is so cool. I would love this cake even though I am no longer a kid :D I just love surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever! I have my twins cake to make for the end of this month and I'm dreading it. :S

    Amy
    In My Bubble

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love cakes with hidden shapes inside and yours looks fab. Thanks for linking to Celebration Cakes and Bakes! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not gonna lie - this is pretty much AMAZING!!! I love these types of cakes with something hidden inside, but the fact that it's a Hidden Mickey makes it all the more awesome!

    Thank you for sharing this at the #100DaysOfDisney link party, you're welcome to add more posts to it over the next 100 days! eep!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x