Wednesday 12 March 2014

Cheap Budget Meals - Classic Mince Beef Pie

Last week it was Pie week, so of course I had to made a pie. As I was making it I realised that this is on of my best budget meals and I knew I had to share it with you this week.

This pie is a deliciously tasty, cheap pie to make and here is always some left over for the next day.
The beauty of a beef pie is that you can adjust to taste or to what food you have that may need using up.

I have found that it is better to buy meat from the local market. It is not only better value for money but also better quality.

When buying for your store cupboard go for the "value" alternatives. Both plain and self raising flour is just as good and a fraction of the cost of supermarket regular ones or branded ones. I always make sure I have flour in the cupboard!

Here is this weeks cheap budget meal recipe...

Classic Mince Beef Pie

Ingredients

Pastry

200g plain flour
100g butter
60mls cold water
1 egg

Filling

1 onion, chopped (16p)
3 carrots, sliced and halved (25p)
250g mushrooms, chopped (75p)
400g mince beef (£2. - I buy 1kg of minced steak from the market for £5)
300mls beef stock
Worcester sauce, optional
1tsp mixed herbs
1 - 2tsp gravy granules
Potatoes (50p)
Broccoli (49p)

Method

Pre heat the oven to 200C

1 - To make the pastry place the butter and flour into a food processor and blitz until you have a breadcrumb texture

2 - Gradually add the water until you have a rough dough

3 - Remove the pastry dough and work into a ball, flatten into a disc, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge whilst you make the pie filling

4 - Place the beef and onions in a pan and dry fry until browned off

5 - Add the mushrooms and carrots, cook for a couple of minutes

6 - Add the beef stock, herbs and Worcester sauce if using, bring to the boil and then simmer until the meat is cooked through and the carrots are soft

7 - Once the filling is cooked add the gravy granules to thicken the sauce

8 - Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little before placing in a pie dish

9 - Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out on a well floured worktop

10 - Lay the pastry over the filling, cutting off any excess pastry and pinching around the edges to seal

11 - Cut an air hole in the centre of the pie, decorate if you wish with any of the left over pastry (I like a leaf design) and brush with the egg wash

12 - Place in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes or until your pastry is golden brown

This pie can be served with any vegetables to taste. I served ours with steamed potatoes and broccoli.
This meal cost me £4.15 to make as I used items out of my store cupboard.

We got 3 portions for our evening meal, lunch for the twins the following day and a leftovers meal for Joseph the following evening!

That works out at 83p per serving (counting the twins as 1 serving!) and you have got a well balanced meal that has been freshly made and has some of your 5 a day servings!

Enjoy x
 

I am sharing my cheap, budget recipe with Gina at Cold Tea and Smelly Nappies and the Thrifty Thursday linky. This week you can find the top 5 places to find second hand children's clothes at Thrifty Thursday

Thrifty Thursday Badge

31 comments:

  1. This sounds really easy and looks delicious! I love a good homemade pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really fancy making a pie now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you have costed the ingedients...pies are great comfort food and I am feeling ever so slightly guilty at having just bought a costly "homemade" pie from our local butchers for an easy meal tonight. Yours looks just as nice and for a significantly lower price. #TastyTuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made a pie or pastry and you've given me the inspiration to give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks goooooood. I love a pie and often make one with the leftovers from our Sunday meal. Pies really are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so into pies at the moment!! I think it's because although the sun is shining the evenings feel really chilly - maybe more so because of the warm sun in the day time?! You can't beat pie, mash or potatoes and some green veggies. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious and I love how cheap it is too :-) We're big supporters of buying locally too - I find it to be cheaper and better quality in general.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious, I love this type of comforting meal

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastically cheap meal and it looks so tasty! I cannot eat wheat so I have steered clear of trying make pastry with wheat free flours but I may have to bite the bullet and have a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh drools, this sounds lovely, your pastry looks really good. What a great price for the whole meal too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that looks so yummy! I love a good pie! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this looks so good. I'd love to give this a go gluten-free style!
    Katie x
    http://www.missenchanting.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good pie I do but I always cheap and buy pastry! I can never seem to make it right despite it sounding easy! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm veggie but would totally substitute this for qourn :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is super cheap to make and the pie looks delicious, I wonder whether it could be made for a reasonable price using chicken breast? My boys love chicken, worth a try x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your recipe. I have made a few pies before but to be honest I cheat and used pre made pastry, still tastes lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pastry looks amazing, I have to confess I cheat or do a rosti topping instead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like pie! Pie, salad and a home made dressing... dream meal

    ReplyDelete
  19. yum, looks lovely! the potatoes look delicious (i'm a potato person lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great pie - looks delicious. Great recipe too, you're making me really crave a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sadly I can't eat beef, but my other half would like this! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea, my children don't like pie :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love cheap homemade meals and pie is one of my fave x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmm that looks and sounds really nice! Thanks for sharing on #ThriftyThursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks amazing! I have never made pie and I am really tempted to give this ago! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks a great, inexpensive version of steak pie! Thanks for visiting the blog recently. Sorry I didn't get back to you quickly; been putting the new site together!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My eldest keeps going on about me making a pie.The only convenience meals I tend to buy are veggie sausages and pies.I need to go and make a pie now don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks fab! I think I will have to give it a go, but make it gluten-free so that our family can all enjoy it! I love cheap things...I try and price all of my recipes now although it is very time consuming (as you can imagine)!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmmm pie! You are impressive making your own pastry, I've always taken the easy option with ready made....but economising on our food shop is a priority this year so I am going to follow your example and try and make my own! #blogclub

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great recipe! There's nothing to homemade pastry, it's cheap, quick and easy - just make sure the water is ice-cold (and I add a dash of lemon juice - just a dash - to keep the pastry soft).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x