Tuesday 24 January 2017

Smoked Haddock Kedgeree - Cheap Budget Meal with Aldi

For many families sticking to a food budget is an essential part of life. However with the rising costs of foods and household products it can be hard. Each week I am delighted to be sharing with you a delicious, healthy meals, for the whole family, that can be made for under £5. Having three children and animals means that our weekly shopping bill can be high, but since I changed where I buy our food and household products from I have noticed a huge drop in our weekly expenses. Yesterday I shared my top money saving tips which include meal planning, writing a shopping list, using a calculator as you shop to name a few. But the one biggest influence on our shopping bill has to be switching to Aldi. Last week I posted a picture via my social media platforms showing what I had spent at Aldi for a weeks worth of shopping.


I was not surprised by the response. So many people also commented on how they had also switched to Aldi and were spending a lot less each week! I spent £55.92 and bought vegetables, cereals, free from milk, cows milk, a lot of fruit, cat food and even a box of dishwasher tablets that cost £5.99 so our food shopping actually came to under £50!

Today I am going to share with you a meal that was based on Aldi's Haddock and Kale Kedgeree. In usual Hijacked By Twins style I have taken the recipe and adapted it to taste and added extra vegetables.

This is what I did...

Smoked Haddock Kedgeree

Ingredients

250g smoked haddock
200g rice
1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
red pepper, chopped
2 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
1 fish stock cube

Method

1 - Place the haddock in a pan and pour over 600mls of fish stock and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 8 minutes, or until it flakes

2 - Using a slotted spoon remove the fish from the stock and place in a bowl and leave on one side for later

3 - Add the rice to pan of fish stock and bring to the boil

4 - Simmer the rice for 10 minutes or until it has absorbed all of the water. If you need to add more water to soften the rice then do

5 - Using a deep saute pan heat a little spray oil and gently heat

6 - Add the broccoli florets, kale and pepper to the pan and stir fry over a medium heat

7 - Add the cooked rice and sprinkle over the curry powder and mix thoroughly

8 - Flake in the smoked haddock, season with salt and pepper according to taste and serve!


This is not only a healthy, tasty meal but also a great budget dinner. This is what it cost...
  • Smoked haddock - £2.59
  • Shredded kale - 49p
  • Broccoli - 35p
  • Red pepper - 47p
  • Long grain rice - 40p
  • Total - £4.30

I even had enough rice and kale leftover for another meal!

Next week I am going to show you how to make a hearty, budget beef stew so do not miss it, because you will not be disappointed!

Pin me for later!

Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

Hijacked By Twins
One Messy Mama
Lori's Culinary Creations

8 comments:

  1. Yummo!! I love fish so much and this looks scrumptious! So happy you linked up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Co-incidentally I just had smokedhaddock with fried rice too! Aldi price looks really great! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I do like a nice bit of smoked haddock and this looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, I love a bit of smoked haddock! #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish there was an Aldi a bit closer to me. I just can't face driving for 20-30 minutes to shop there! The kedgeree looks great - a rare dish that all my kids enjoy! Thanks for linking up to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love Kedgeree and haven't had it in years. Perhaps it's time I revived it for next week's shopping list. Great thrifty tips here, thank you! '#GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boys actually really like smoked fish. I should give this a try #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fish Kedgeree was one of the first meals my brother ever cooked :) Such a special memory for me.. I've never made it actually.. Guess I should try! Thanks for sharing #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x