Wednesday 27 September 2017

Coffee, Fruit and Walnut Cake

Guess who has finally got her baking mojo back.....

Yes me!!!

I had a good bake off of a weekend. I baked some fat rascals, which I am planning to share soon, then I made this cake, then went on to make some delicious apple crumble using some homegrown apples, again, this will be shared shortly.

This is a recipe that has evolved. A couple of weeks ago I made a coffee and walnut cake which was delicious, but I wanted to make it into something more so I added some dry fruit and wow it has transformed this cake into something else!

I love it and that is why I am sharing it today!

This is what I did...


Coffee, Fruit and Walnut Cake

Ingredients

125g butter
125g soft dark brown sugar
125g self raising flour
2 eggs
4tspn Camp, coffee and chicory essence
75g chopped walnuts
75g sultanas

25g butter
200g icing sugar
Camp essence

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C

1 - Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix together until you have a creamy texture

2 - Add the eggs one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Add the remaining flour to the bowl and mix together thoroughly until you have a smooth mixture

4 - Pour in the Camp coffee and chicory essence and mix thoroughly

5 - Stir in the walnuts and sultanas

6 - Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin and place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until thoroughly baked

7 - Once the cake has finished baking remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing and leaving to cool completely on a cooling tray

8 - Once the cake has cooled prepare the frosting by beating together the butter and icing sugar

9 - Once you have the desired consistency add a few drops of Camp essence, this can be added according to taste

10 - Cover the cake with the frosting and sprinkle over some chopped walnuts and leave for about 30 minutes before serving, this will allow the frosting to harden


Adding the sultanas completely transforms this classic cake. They add an extra texture and sweetness to the cake that goes perfectly with the coffee and walnuts.


I found that this cake kept well for 5 days when kept in an air tight container. I will admit that the only reason it lasted so long was because the day after I baked was J's birthday so there was a lot of chocolate cake!


This is definitely my favourite cake at the moment. It has been my afternoon treat with a lovely cup of coffee.

What is your favourite classic cake?

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!



Hijacked By Twins
Casa Costello

8 comments:

  1. So glad your baking mojo is back! Love the look of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love the idea of adding fruit to a coffee and walnut cake! My favourite cake is either coffee and walnut or carrot cake...or maybe chocolate cake...or lemon dizzle...or maybe just ALL THE CAKE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive not thought of adding fruit to a coffee and walnut cake but why not. It sounds lovely. Thank you for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your cake Kirsty plus the fact that you made it in a loaf tin makes it less of a faff too ;) This one is definitely one of my classic favourites but to be honest (similar to Eb above) I love all the cake (with the exception of Christmas Pudding, but that's the story for separate occasion) lol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of Coffee and Walnut Cake, but I have never added fruit either! Sounds perfectly logical..... I wonder why not?! Thinking about it though, it sounds a fab combo.... wondering whether apples might work in there???? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great that you have your baking mojo back Kirsty . I must admit I can never tire of baking, but sometimes I can lose my cooking one and feel deflated about mealtimes!
    Your cake looks superb - perfect for InterNational Coffee day! thank you for linking to #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x