Thursday 14 September 2017

Mushroom Orzo Risotto - A Perfect Mid Week Meal

Risotto is a real family favourite in our house. I love the versatility of risotto. You can add ingredients and take them out according to what you have in or what you fancy. It can be made with vegetables or with meat, with fish or leftovers. The possibilities are endless. The only thing that I do not like about cooking a traditional risotto is the time it takes to cook. Before when I was not going out to work it did not matter, but now that time at home is reduced the only time I can really make one in this way is at the weekend. However when we were shopping the other week the hubby spotted some Orzo pasta. Orzo is pasta but it looks very similar to rice so we got some for a mid week, cheats risotto and we loved it!

This is what I did..

Mushroom Orzo Risotto

Ingredients - Served 3 adult portions, 2 children's portions and leftovers!

300g mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
150g frozen peas
3 blocks of frozen spinach
300g Orzo pasta
750mls vegetable stock (plus extra water if needed)
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
1tsp thyme
1tbsp olive oil
25g butter, cubed
75mls white wine

Method

1 - Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and gently fry the chopped shallots for 3 minutes over a medium heat

2 - Add the chopped garlic and mushrooms, continue to cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes

3 - Pour over the wine, bring to the boil and then simmer until it has reduced

4 - Scatter in the Orzo, stir thoroughly and pour over the stock

5 - Bring the stock to the boil and add the peas and spinach, place a lid on the pan and simmer for 15 minutes

6 - If it needs more water add a little

7 - Once the Orzo is tender remove from the heat, scatter over the cubes of butter and add the grated Parmesan

8 - Cover the pan and leave for 5 minutes before serving


This is a delicious meal that can be prepared and cooked in just over 30 minutes. When replacing the rice with Orzo you do not have the time consuming task of adding the stock a little at a time, hence making it a perfect midweek meal! 



There was even enough leftover for me to have cold the following day at work. I simply bulked it up with some juicy cherry tomatoes and some chunks of cheese.


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Hijacked By Twins

5 comments:

  1. What a great midweek meal and I love the idea of using orzo instead of risotto rice. Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh i love Risotto. I will definitely try this out :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love risotto and love this easy peasy orzo version too...if you want a quick and easy version of the real deal, hop over to my site - I have a cheat on my mushroom risotto that makes it doable even on a busy weeknight! Thanks for linking this up to #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I have never seen risotto being made without rice. But using orzo pasta in place of rice seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I am such a huge fan of "orzotto" that I rarely ever make risotto anymore! Orzo is so much faster and forgiving than arborio rice. I am also a certifiable mushroom maniac (although my kids are NOT). This will be a perfect date-night meal for me and the hubster! #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x