Monday 25 September 2017

Weekly Meal Plan Plus a Perfect Midweek Recipe

Hello and welcome to another week of meal planning and a perfect midweek recipe.

Last week was one heck of a roller coaster. I applied for some additional hours at work which unfortunately I did not get. The role that I wanted to add on was a finance role and being up against an accountant meant that it was not meant to be. But I feel proud of myself for getting as far as I did and just happy to have the job that I have got. I am a true believer of things happening for a reason, and this was not meant to be.

Anyway, this is a new week and time to move on!

Last weeks meal plan was a success and I am loving having my Pressure King Pro out again. Warming meals are definitely the way we are going with our dinners!

This weeks perfect midweek recipe is one that is so simple but so full of flavour. One of my favourite ingredients has to be chorizo, it adds so much flavour to a dish and really does all of the work for you. This weeks recipe is a twist on our favourite cottage pie sauce.

This is what I did...


Beef and Chorizo Sauce

Ingredients

400g lean beef steak mince
2 shallots, chopped
200g chorizo, chopped
200g mushrooms, chopped
250g broccoli florets
150g green beans, chopped
2 blocks of frozen spinach
1 carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
200mls beef stock
1 x 400g tin kidney beans in chilli sauce

Method


1 - Place the mince and shallots in a large saute pan and fry over a medium heat until the meat has browned off

2 - Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring regularly

3 - Add the chorizo and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the carrots, chopped tomatoes and beef stock

4 - Bring to the boil and add the broccoli, green beans and spinach and cover the pan

5 - Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes

6 - Add the kidney beans in chilli sauce, cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes

This sauce is so full of flavour without a lot of work. The chorizo adds the perfect amount of paprika to the dish. When using chorizo you know that it will do all of the hard work for you!



This sauce goes perfectly with rice and if you have any leftovers mash some potatoes and add a little chilli and cheese to the top and you have a delicious chilli cottage pie. The possibilities are endless!


Now onto this weeks meal plan. I have recently purchased Jamie Oliver's latest book 5 Ingredients - Quick and Easy Food which I think is going to be a Godsend! One thing that I have missed since returning to work is having time to cook. But this book has shown me that even if I am short of time I can still create a delicious meal! So far I am three quarters of the way through and ran out of markers!


I have a feeling that this is going to become a much used book! This weeks meal plan features a recipe from the book and I will definitely let you know how I got on next week!

This is what we will be enjoying this week...

Week Commencing 25th September 2017

Monday - Leftover Slow Cooked Beef Ragu

We are starting the week with some lovely leftovers. Tonight I am using the leftover, slow cooked beef from yesterdays Sunday roast to make a rich ragu and will serve with pasta.

Tuesday - Cajun Chicken

I have some Cajun chicken in the freezer and will be having them with chips and salad on Tuesday.

Wednesday - Jamie's Steak and Beans

This was one of the first recipes that I saw from Jamie Oliver's book and one that I knew I had to try. This dish is a good chunk of rib eye steak served on a bed of beans and mushrooms.

Thursday - Prawn Spaghetti

On Thursday we are going to have a lovely, quick and easy meal of King Prawn Pasta. This is a meal that I made while we were camping but I am planning to give it a bit of a revamp. Hey, we are at home and I can be a bit more extravagant!

Friday - Kashmir Curry

For our Friday night treat we are going to have a Kashmir curry. The other week when we were shopping in Marks and Sparks we found some fantastic curry kits. We tried one over the weekend and loved it. The kit comes with spices, paste and sauce to help you recreate an authentic curry at home. On Friday we are having a Kashmir curry with naan breads and a selection of Indian side dishes.

As for the weekend I am going to plan closer to the time.

What have you got planned for the week? If you write a meal plan come and join in with the #MealPlanningMonday blog hop!

Hope you have a great week x

Hijacked By Twins

get the InLinkz code

7 comments:

  1. So sorry about the extra hours but some things like this are not meant to be...
    Great meal plan! Everything sounds so good! I love the sound of the Prawn Spaghetti x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a shame about the extra hours. I am thinking of picking get up that Jamie Oliver book, it looks great. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am contemplating buying that recipe book by Jamie - I would the interested to hear what you think of it. your chilli looks delicious and perfect for the colder evenings. sorry that you have some extra hours x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry that the promotion/extra hours didn't work out. It's so frustrating to get your hopes up and then have them dashed. Luckily, you're happy with your job as it is! This meal will be a flash to make during the week, and I'm a big fan of anything chorizo. This one is going on my to-make list pronto! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious and hearty meal your beef and chorizo stew makes! Jamie Oliver is my favourite TV chef and only yesterday I watched one of his 5 ingredient shows - very good. Maybe I should consider buying the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, sorry to hear you didn't get the extra hours, but hey - at least you will have more time for blogging now!! Love the idea of adding chorizo into your cottage pie sauce - such fab flavours...and love the sound of your meal plan!! I have asked for Jamie's book for my birthday, so fingers crossed I get it - sounds right up my street. Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry too to hear you didnt get the extra hours but i agree with you i think things happen for a reason. Maybe something better suited is just around the corner.

    When i put chorizo in my mince beef mix my boys complained. But I totally disagree with them I think it works really well. adding lots of flavour.

    I have been wondering about Jamies latest book. My boys tend to like using his recipes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x