Tuesday 13 March 2018

#BigMac50 - Celebrating 50 Years of the Big Mac!

McDonald's has been a family favourite for years. I remember going for a McDonald's as a child and have fond memories of us taking my late grandmother who asked where the cutlery was. I am sure that there are families all over the world that have McDonald's memories too. They are a worldwide brand who everyone knows and loves. You can guarantee that where ever you are in the world, if you order a Big Mac it is going to taste exactly the same as it does at home.

Back in 2016 I wrote a post about the evolution of McDonald's after visiting one the newly refurbished restaurants in Leeds. While I was there I even made my very own Big Mac using two all beef burgers, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions all in a sesame seed bun.



So when I was asked if I would like to write about how McDonald's are celebrating 50 marvellous years of the Big Mac, I could not wait to, literally, get tucked in!

Back in February 1968 the Big Mac was created by an American McDonald's franchisee called Jim Delligatti in Pennsylvania. Delligatti originally wanted to call his creation The Aristocrat however after careful consideration McDonald's decided to go with Big Mac. That is how a legend was born! After the success in the USA McDonald's brought the Big Mac and their brand to the UK back in 1974 when they opened their first restaurant on Woolwich High Street. Since introducing the Big Mac to the world McDonald's have not looked back and is now enjoyed in over 100 countries around the world!

Whenever we go to McDonald's my regular order is always the legendary Big Mac. My Favourite ingredient has to be the special sauce. This top secret sauce, in my opinion, makes this a truly iconic burger and took Delligatti two years to perfect! To celebrate 50 years of the Big Mac McDonald's have released two limited edition burgers. Both based around the classic burger but have only changed the size. Now available in all McDonald's, there are three different sizes of Big Mac, the Mac Jr, which is made with all of the classic ingredients but with just one less burger, the original birthday burger and finally the Grand Big Mac, yes, an even bigger version of the classic!

Over the years there have been hundreds of McDonald's adverts and to celebrate they have been challenging people to complete the Big Mac ingredients tongue twister in under four seconds. 


Check out this video of 90's pop stars Jason Donovan and Chesney Hawkes battling it out to not only say the tongue twister but singing it!


Have you tried any of the celebratory Big Macs yet? If so, which is your favourite? We did dig into a Grand Big Mac the other week which was immense and I am determined to try the Mac Jr before it goes!


Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

8 comments:

  1. I have never had one! Great article on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woolwich High street seems a strange choice for their first UK branch. I didnt kniw that and cant help wondering why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to think if I've ever had a Big Mac...I get drawn to the chicken nuggets! It must have been fun to make your own :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been many years since I enjoyed a Big Mac - but my husband has his eye on one on the celebratory ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ashamed to say I've never had a Big Mac! I always choose one of the chicken options and my husband is always telling me I can't go through life not having ever had one. My kids love it when I take them to MacDonalds because of the Happy Meals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to confess: Big Macs are a secret, guilty pleasure of mine and have been for as long as I can remember. Bang-up job chronicling their history! (Now I'm running straight out to find some golden arches.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, great post to read, who knew all those facts about the Big Mac!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the days before McD in the UK.... When the Big Mac arrived, we had to head to London for it.... I think there were only 2 McD's then! How times have changed....
    I also remember a competition when I was a kid where if you went in and said '2 all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, all in a sesame seed bun' in less than a silly number of seconds, you could have your BM for free!
    Now they need to evolve to bring us the GF Big Mac bun in the UK..... (although I occasionally seek in for one with three GF sandwich thins, which work pretty well......) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x