Sunday 15 December 2013

Christmas Spiced Clementine Drizzle Cake

I love this time of year in the kitchen.
I love using spices in my baking so this time of year is a perfect excuse to use them.
Like I really need an excuse!!!
When I was thinking about flavours that are seen as "Christmassy" I came up with a few and have mixed my favourites to create this festive cake!
This is what I got...
 
Christmas Spiced Clementine Drizzle Cake topped with dried Cranberries
 
Ingredients
 
Cake
 
150g baking spread
150g golden caster sugar
3 eggs at room temperature
165g self raising flour
10g ground almonds
1/4 tspn ground ginger
1/2 tspn nutmeg
1 tspn cinnamon
Zest of 4 clementines
Juice of 2 clementines
 
Drizzle and topping
 
Juice of 1 clementine
60g golden caster sugar
50g dried cranberries
 
Method
 
Pre-heat the oven to 180C
 
1 - Cream the baking spread until smooth
 
2 - Add the golden caster sugar and mix until creamed together
 
3 - Mix the flour, ground almonds, ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon together in a bowl
 
4 - Gradually add the eggs along with a spoon of the flour mixture to prevent curdling
 
5 - Mix in the clementine zest and juice
 
6 - Sift in the flour adding any of the almonds and spices that remain in the sift
 
7 - Mix until all of the ingredients are combined and you have a smooth cake mixture
 
8 - Put the mixture in a prepared cake tin, place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 minutes
 
9 - Once the cake is baked remove from the oven, keep in the tin and prick the cake in various places with a knife
 
10 - To prepare the drizzle topping mix the golden caster sugar into the clementine juice and spoon over the cake making sure it is evenly covered then sprinkle over the dried cranberries
 
11 - Leave the cake to cool in the tin before serving
 
The clementine juice and the ground almonds make this a deliciously moist cake. I love the combination of the sweet cranberries with the citrus and spice!
I will definitely be making this cake again, however, I will bake it any time of the year!
Enjoy x
 
 
 
The Christmas Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps and Helen at The Crazy Kitchen
 
 

 
 mummy mishaps

2 comments:

  1. oh my this sounds sooo good and i think it looks so pretty too Kirsty. Perfect for this time of year with a hot cup of tea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks light and fluffy and i can only imagine how it tastes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x