Friday 20 December 2013

Ella's Kitchen - My Little BIG Meals Review

I am a passionate about feeding my children good, healthy home cooked food.

However in our busy lives having a ready made meal to hand is a huge help. I always made the children's baby food when they started weaning. Now that they are bigger I feel happier giving them a pre made meal but it must be from a trusted brand.

When I looked at children's meals one brand did stand out.

That brand is Ella's Kitchen.

This is the only brand of meals that I will buy for my children because all of the ingredients are organic and they contain no artificial colours, additives or preservatives. On the back of the packets it lists clearly what is used and the quantities. This is something that is important to me as I want to know exactly what my children are eating when I give them a pre made meal.

When the opportunity came to test and review their new “My Little BIG Meals” I jumped at the chance.

We received to try:
  • Chuncky Pasta Bolognese Bake with a Handful of Herbs
  • Full of Beans Pork Stew with Hearty Veg
  • Stacked & Packed Veggie Moussaka topped with Creamy Sauce
The twins enjoyed all three of them and ate the lot!

The portion sizes are also good. I found that one pot fed both of them and they had room afterwards to finish their meal with some fresh fruit and yogurt. But the meals could easily be bulked up with any vegetables if I wanted to. For one child there is more than enough!

Chunky Pasta Bolognese Bake with a Handful of Herbs

The twins love pasta so I knew that they would love this one too.

The sauce is lovely, however my twins are used to a few more spices so I did add some black pepper and a few more herbs to it for a little more flavour. That is the great thing with these dinners if you want to add anything you can. The pasta was regular sized pasta which I chopped up a bit but is ideal for them as they learn to cope with bigger bits of food.

This meal contains

Organic vegetables 63% (tomatoes, yellow peppers, red peppers, carrots and onions
Organic vegetable stock 15%
Organic beef 12%
Organic pasta 8%
Organic sunflower oil 1%
Organic garlic <1 font="">
Organic cornflour <1 font="">
Organic mixed herbs <0 .1="" font="">
Other stuff 0%

Full of Beans Pork Stew with Hearty Veg

This is a new one for the twins.

They haven't had a pork stew before so I was unsure whether they would like it. But they did! They even enjoyed the beans, which I was expecting them to be fussy with. This meal is a great way to get the added fibre into the children that the beans provide. Having this meal the twins discovered new flavours and I discovered new foods that they like.

This meal contains
Organic fruit and vegetables 48% (tomatoes, onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, apples and green beans)
Organic vegetable stock 23%
Organic haricot beans 17%
Organic pork 10%
Organic garlic <1 font="">
Organic cornflour <1 font="">
Organic mixed herbs <0 .1="" font="">
Other stuff 0%

Stacked and Packed Veggie Moussaka topped with Creamy Sauce

This was to be another new meal for the twins and as with the Pork Stew I was unsure what their reaction would be. They have not had lentils before. However as with the Pork Stew I needn't have worried, they loved the new flavours! This meal is packed with vegetables and lentils so is full of the goodness that they need plus the added fibre!

This meal contains

Organic vegetables 57% (tomatoes, aubergines, carrots, potatoes, red peppers, yellow peppers, onions)
Organic whole milk 22%
Organic vegetable stock 12%
Organic lentils 3%
Organic cheddar cheese 3%
Organic cornflour 1%
Organic garlic 1%
Organic unsalted butter <1 font="">
Organic mixed herbs <1 font="">
Other stuff 0%

Our Verdict! 

Both the twins and I loved Ella's Kitchen My Little Big Meals. The only negative comment that I would make is that the meals could do with a little bit more flavour. However these can be added to taste, so this is not something that would put me off buying them. On the contrary, I have been and purchased more as they are going to be ideal to take away on our holidays!

The Ella's Kitchen My Little BIG Meals available are:

Creamy Coconutty Chicken Curry with a sprinkle of spice

Full of Colour Chicken Paella-ella-ella

Beefy Beef Stew

Chunky Pasta Bolognese Bake

Full of Beans Pork Stew

Stacked & Packed Veggie Moussaka

We give Ella's Kitchen My Little BIG Meals a 5 stars!
 
Disclaimer: I am a Monter Mummies VIP and this review was done on behalf of Monster Mummies. We recieved the three dishes from Ella's Kitchen to try and review. The opinions and views are 100% honest.
 
For more information on Ella's Kitchen My Little BIG Meals visit
 
Visit Monster Mummies to read reviews, news, lifestyle, blog posts and competions.

http://www.monstermummies.co.uk/



3 comments:

  1. My little Ella eats only Ellas kitchen not just because of the name thing but she loves it, i did swap one week to 2 other brands and she ended up with constipation plus i love the handy packs to they are easy to feed from those meals look great now if only they could do the same for 4 and 5 year old meals i would be happy and my life a bit easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrr I bet she loves that it has her name in too xx

      Delete
    2. Arrr I bet she loves that it has her name in too xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x