Monday 30 December 2013

Tipsy Mincemeat Streusel

Another recipe that really stood out for me on the Christmas Great British Bake Off Masterclass was Mary Berry's Streusel.
This is a bake that I had never heard of but immediately knew that I had to make it, well, make my version of it!
As I already had my homemade tipsy mincemeat I wanted to find different ways to use it and not just make the typical mincepies.
I made my own sweet pastry base using my regular recipe, however to add a little more of Christmas flavours I have added 4 teaspoons of muling syrup.
Mary Berry's recipe can be found at
This is what I got...
 
Tipsy Mincemeat Streusel
 
Ingredients
 
Sweet Pastry
 
165g plain flour
25g ground almonds
120g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
55g caster sugar
1 medium egg
4 tspn mulling syrup
 
Filling
 
Tipsy Mincemeat (see post http://hijackedbytwins.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/tipsy-mincemeat.html for the recipe)
 
Topping
 
75g self raising flour
40g semolina
40g caster sugar
75g melted butter
 
Method
 
1 - To make the pastry place the flour, butter, ground almonds and caster sugar into a food processor and blitz until you have a bread crumb consistency
 
2 - Add the egg and the mulling syrup and blitz until the ingredients are coming together, if needed add a little water
 
3 - Remove from the food processor and bring together, wrap in cling film ad chill for at least 3 hours, I left mine in the fridge over night and found that I had a lovely manageable pastry
 
4 - When your pastry is ready pre heat the oven to 180C (fan)
 
5 - To make the topping mix together the flour, semolina and caster sugar
 
6 - Add the cooled melted butter and bring together
 
7 - Once you have a dough like texture wrap in cling film and place in the freezer. The more solid the better as it is easier to work with!
 
8 - Roll out the pastry to the size to line a small baking tray or Swiss roll tin
 
9 - Line the tin with the pastry and add your mincemeat
 
10 - Take the topping out of the freezer and grate the block, sprinkle the grated topping over the mincemeat
 
11 - Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 25 minutes
 
12 - When it is baked leave to cool slightly before cutting and serving
 
This streusel is delicious served warm with a little brandy butter but equally as nice a couple of days later cold! Just keep in an air tight container to help keep some of the crunch!
Enjoy x
 
 
 
The Christmas Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps and the lovely Helen at The Crazy Kitchen

 
mummy mishaps

4 comments:

  1. This looks really tasty i bet it did not last long xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely change to mincepies and it soon went xx

      Delete
  2. this was somethingi really wanted to make but following that show but I just ran out of time. i bet it was yummy
    thank you for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely, I made some streusel tarts yesterday so I'm going to update with a photo of them. Going to try making a brandy buttercream to pipe on the top :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x