Thursday 3 March 2016

Butternut Squash and Chestnut Soup from Sunrise

Last year I tested a delicious Bailey's Cheesecake recipe that was sent from Sunrise Senior Living. So when they got in touch again and asked me to try out one of their new recipes I could not wait to see what new meals that had created.

The menus at Sunrise Senior Living are all created by Michelin star chefs and provide only the best quality of food to ensure that people in their care get all of the essential vitamins and nutrients from their meals. Not only do Sunrise provide excellent care but also serve delicious food!

After taking a good look at the menu I decided to have a go at making their Butternut Squash and Chestnut Soup. At this time of year soups are a perfect option for lunch on a cold day. They are a lot more satisfying that a boring old sandwich! Soups are not only delicious but they are a great way to consume more natural goodness.

Dining at Sunrise consists of...
  • Tailored menus to meet residents’ individual dietary needs
  • A choice of favourite classics, regional dishes, resident requests and healthy international recipes
  • Finger food choices for residents who need easy-to-eat meals
  • Crockery and cutlery designed to make dining easier for people living with dementia
  • Fresh, seasonal ingredients chosen by our dining team
  • Low-fat, low-sodium, high-fibre, high calcium, reduced-calorie, diabetic friendly and vegetarian choices
  • Appetising and attractive food for people who find solids hard to swallow
This is how I got on making their soup...

Butternut Squash and Chestnut Soup

Ingredients

140g Peeled Chestnuts (tinned is fine)
140g Diced Fresh Butternut Squash
430ml Vegetable Stock
140ml Warm Whole Milk
20ml Double Cream
400g tin of chopped tomatoes (this is an ingredient that I added to make the soup go further)
Pinch each of thyme, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Method

1. Place the chestnuts, squash and stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil

2. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes

3. Turn off the heat and puree the soup with a blender until very smooth

4. Slowly whisk in the milk

5. Return soup to the heat and warm through

6. Whisk in the thyme, nutmeg and cinnamon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

7. Serve and add a swirl of cream to each portion


This soup is so delicious and full of flavour. It makes a perfectly, warming lunch on cold days and is even better with a chunk of warm, fresh bread!

Sunrise Senior Living have homes all over the country, from Sunrise Care Homes in Eastbourne to care homes south of Manchester. All together they have a total of 27 care communities across England.

Food plays an enormous part in our health and well being. I am a true believer in putting the best in to get the best physical and mental health from your body and mind. People who are in care homes need to get all of the goodness possible from their meals and it is lovely to see that homes like Sunrise Senior Living and continually updating and improving their menus.

Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.

13 comments:

  1. Well done on making this butternut soup I only make carrot and coriander or leek and potato but I have got a butternut squash just recently bought so maybe I'll give this recipe a try :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, I love butternut squash. Are the meals suitable for the family too or just the old dears? Some of the stuff you've posted looks lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a yummy soup. The meals are definitely good for everyone and super healthy! x

      Delete
  3. Well done on making the soup I'm not that good at making soup myself.
    I love butternut squash definitely one of my favourite vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and my kids love Butternut squash soup. its so quick and easy to make and taste deeeelish!! I have never made it with Chesnuts though and will have to try this new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so yummy, and perfect for cold nights and autumn evenings. I'm not the world's most talented cook, but I'd love to give cooking chestnuts a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really tasty and easy to make (even for me), I'm always eating boring sandwiches for lunch. If this is senior living I've got nice food to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my this looks divine. I love butternut squash in soup, it is truly one of the best veggies for soup and it roasts so well too! H x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love butternut squash but I have never put it together with Chestnut before. It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of adding the tomato to a butternut squash soup, would never have thought of that

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious! I love soup and I'm always looking for variations to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious! I love soup and I'm always looking for variations to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love soup, and this sounds delicious. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x