Tuesday 1 March 2016

Fairtrade Fortnight - Fairtrade Banoffee with a Difference Cake

Yesterday marked the start of fairtrade fortnight. Fairtrade products are now widely available in all of your supermarkets. But people often believe that fairtrade items cost more money. Today I am going to show you that they are more affordable and more available than you may think.
Image result for fairtrade fortnight logos

Aldi stock fairtrade products and because it is fairtrade fortnight I thought that I would share with you my own fairtrade recipe using products from Aldi.


While I was shopping I picked up some fairtrade, organic bananas, fairtrade Colombian coffee, fairtrade Peruvian single origin chocolate and I could not resist some fairtrade roses!

Having these three main ingredients gave me a great idea for a cake. Here is my Banoffee with a Difference Cake. The difference being the "offee" is not toffee, it is coffee.

This is what I did...

Fairtrade Banoffee with a Difference Cake

Ingredients

150g butter
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
150g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
90mls boiling water
1tbsp fairtrade Colombian instant coffee
2 fairtrade organic bananas, mashed
75g fairtrade Peruvian dark chocolate

Method

Pre heat the oven to 160C

1 - Mix the coffee with the boiling water and allow to cool

2 - Beat the butters and eggs together until light and creamy

3 - Add the eggs, one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

4 - Add the remaining flour and ground almonds

5 - Mix in the mashed banana

6 - Add the cooled coffee and mix thoroughly

7 - Pour the cake batter into a lined and greased loaf tin and place in the centre of the pre heated oven

8 - Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean, remove from the oven and remove from the tin

9 - Melt to chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water and then drizzle over the cake


This cake is delicious served warm while the chocolate is still gooey. It is delicious served either as it is or with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream melting over the warm sponge!




Next time you are going to make a cake, why not make a cake using ingredients that make a change. Even pick you a bunch of roses for the kitchen windowsill. When choosing ingredients, if there is a fairtrade option, go for it. Make a difference to the lives of people who want to make a difference to their families lives.


Enjoy x

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.
CookBlogShare
Link up your recipe of the week
Casa Costello

14 comments:

  1. I can see me making this soon as I always have ripe bananas. I've made a Banoffee spread once, but do love your combo here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of aldi to buy fair trade before. I always thought it would be expensive. I'm going to aldi at the weekend so will check out their range.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live Aldi for fair trade stuff! Dies this actually work?! I can't imagine those 2 flavours together! I love banoffee pie, I dunno if I could cope without the toffee bit! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works so well! Give it a go, it is healthier than the toffee option too :-) x

      Delete
  4. I live Aldi for fair trade stuff! Dies this actually work?! I can't imagine those 2 flavours together! I love banoffee pie, I dunno if I could cope without the toffee bit! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great sounding cake Kirsty, with a little twist. And even better than you've used fairtrade products,
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I alwayss prefer buying fair-trade products and often find the quality to be better- especially with chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely delicious. I'm a big fan of fair trade stuff, especially in recent years now the price has started coming doen

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds and looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious!! The recipe is quite straightforward too. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find banoffee too sickly so imagine this would work much better

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh this looks SO good, I love banana in anything and chocolate is always such a great addition! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum that looks tastey! My kids have been learning about fair trade at school and its been interesting to find out what is fair trade and what isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word that looks delicious :-) Thanks for sharing #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x