Wednesday 23 March 2016

Vegetable and Bean Stew

At this time of year I love to use more root vegetables in our meals. Root vegetables make the perfect comfort food for this time of year. They are not only full of earthly flavours but are so versatile.

This dish is full of root vegetables and beans. This is a dish that you can prepare and leave in the oven to let the flavours marry together. My recipe is cooked in the oven but it can easily be adapted for cooking in a slow cooker.

This is what I did...

Vegetable and Bean Stew

Ingredients

1 lg red onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
6 carrots, quartered and sliced
3 parsnips, quartered and chopped
1 butternut squash, chopped
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes (I used Cirio chopped tomatoes)
300mls vegetable stock
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 x 400g tins of black eyed beans
1tbs tomato puree
Salt and pepper to season

Method

1 - Pre heat the oven to 150C

2 - Place all of the vegetables in a casserole dish with a lid

3 - Pour over the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock

4 - Stir in the tomato puree, the fresh sprigs of rosemary and season to taste

5 - Cover with the lid and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 2 hours


6 - After 2 hours remove from the oven, stir, add the black eyed beans and return to the oven for a further 2 hours


This dish is delicious served alongside fresh, crusty bread.


I was expecting to have enough leftovers to use in a cottage pie style meal, however, everyone loved this stew so much they all had seconds! I was left with a lot less than planned but what I was left with made a delicious bed for a tuna fillet to go on the following day!


Enjoy x
CookBlogShare
Cook Once Eat Twice

4 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and a great way to eat it with the tuna the next day. It's the type of dish I often make a big batch of for me and the children then freeze a lot of it as it's so versatile. Thank you so much for joining in with #CookOnceEatTwice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely. I have never heard of pink salt - off to Google..... #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love root veg and can't get enough of them - at any time of year! The kids are less keen however (of course). Your stew looks like a delicious way of tempting them though... #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo you can't beat a good stew :-) Hope you had a relaxing weekend. thanks for linking up this week #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x