Tuesday 27 August 2013

Spiced Orange Cake

Now for a happier post.......
Cake!
I tried this recipe a few days ago but it was eaten before I got chance to ice it let alone take a photograph to post!
So yesterday with everything going on I hit the kitchen to distract my thoughts.
Before 8:15am I had bread dough and pizza dough proving!
I was on a baking mission!
Next it was time for the cake!
Last time I made this as a large cake. Yesterday we were going on a picnic with some family so I thought that cupcakes would be a better idea.
Here is my recipe

Ingredients

150g butter
150g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
Zest of 1 large orange finely grated
Juice of 1 large orange
1tspn cinnamon
1tspn mixed spice
175g self raising flour

Topping

100g full fat cream cheese
30g butter
150g - 175g icing sugar
1tspn of orange zest finely grated

Method

Heat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4, 350F

1: Cream the butter until lightly creamed
2: Add the sugar and mix evenly blended together
3: mix the flour, cinnamon and mixed spice together
4: Gradually add the eggs. With each egg add a spoon of the flour mix to prevent the mixture separating
5: Add the zest and orange juice with a spoon of flour
6: Sift in the flour and spices, mix until evenly blended
7: Either put into a prepared cake tin or put into cupcake holders and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when stuck through the centre
8: Cream together the cream cheese and butter
9: Add the orange zest
10: Gradually add the icing sugar and mix with a spoon before giving it a blast with an electric hand whisk
11: Leave it in the fridge for about an hour to firm it up before piping onto the cake.
12: Once the cakes are completely cooled, pipe on the topping

I have also added a little twist onto these cakes for my hubby. I have added a couple of handfuls of muesli to transform them into breakfast muffins!

Enjoy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x