Thursday 20 October 2016

Fruit Layered Porridge Breakfast Bowl

Last week I joined a local Slimming World group. Recently I have been eating and drinking what I want without much thought to what it was doing to me health. This has caused my weight to naturally go up which is starting to effect my health and well being. So now my meals are all about using as many "free" foods as possible to ensure that I am full, but full of good, healthy foods. Normally I am not a breakfast person but this last week I have been looking forward to my breakfast. This has been my favourite breakfast. It does take a little effort but is so worth it and that is why I am sharing it with you today!


Oats are a deliciously filling fibre rich food that are the perfect way to start the day. Porridge oats should be classed as a super food. They are packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre but they also help reduce high blood pressure, reduce bad cholesterol, keeping blood sugar levels steady and they give you enough energy to keep you going until lunch time! The best part is that you do not need to eat a lot to gain the health benefits. This breakfast, with the oats combined with fruit, is the ideal way to start the day.

This is what I did...

 

Fruit Layered Porridge Breakfast Bowl

Ingredients - per serving

40g porridge oats
200mls of your chosen milk
1 Cox's apple
Blueberries
Blackberries
Ground cinnamon

Method

1 - Place the porridge oats in a pan and pour over the milk

2 - Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes

3 - While the porridge is cooking quarter the apple, remove the core and chop

4 - Once the porridge is cooked remove from the heat

5 - Create a fruity layer using half of the apple, a handful of blueberries and a few blackberries

6 - Top the fruit with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon

7 - Spoon over the porridge followed by another sprinkling of ground cinnamon

8 - Top with the remaining apple, blueberries and blackberries and finish with another light dusting of cinnamon


This breakfast is perfectly balanced between tasty and healthy. If you are following the Slimming World plan the porridge oats can be classed as your healthy extra b, while the milk can be your healthy extra a. If you do not like the fruit that I have used you can simply add the fruit of your choice, pile it up high and enjoy the goodness!


How do you start the day? What is your favourite breakfast?

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


CookBlogShare
Link up your recipe of the week

6 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this porridge - so delicious and wonderfully autumnal. I always have breakfast in the morning...I just couldn't survive without it, but I have so little time in the mornings that I never get anything so lovely as this...it's normally just a couple of shredded wheat (the only breakfast cereal I have found that doesn't contain any added sugar!) Boring but I like it and it does the job! Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eb, I actually made an over night oats version of it last night for this morning and it was lovely. It is so hard to find a cereal that is super healthy x

      Delete
  2. That looks like a hearty breakfast.........may have to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having porridge with chopped apples and a little bit of honey for breakfast recently and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chucking in loads of fruit, strawberries and banana is a yummy one too x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x