Wednesday 21 February 2018

Chicken and Pepper Pasta - Perfect Mid-week Meal

During the working week it is always great to have a quick and easy meal that you know that you can rely on. People often associate quick and easy with processed ready meals. But with this recipe I am aiming to show you that is not the case! 

This meal is quick, easy, low fat and super healthy but more importantly is a meal that the whole family will love, even the kids and the fussy eldest, wanted more! In my mind, that makes a meal a success. There was even enough leftover for me to take to work the following day for my lunch.

Chicken meals always go down well in our house, especially with the cycling Hubby. Chicken is a fantastic source of protein and is low in fats. This meal is the perfect muscle repairing dinner for when he gets home after a ride home from work. To make it even healthier I have used Quark instead of cream which gives him an additional boost of protein.

This is what I did...

Chicken and Pepper Pasta

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts, diced
2 yellow peppers, chopped
1 lg red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 stalks of curly kale, chopped
250g garlic and herb quark
1 tbsp olive oil
400g pasta
50g mature cheese, grated

Method

1 - Place a pan of salted water over a high heat and bring to the boil

2 - Add the pasta to the pan and simmer for 8 minutes

3 - In a large saute pan heat the olive oil over a medium heat, add the diced chicken and brown off for 5 minutes

4 - Add the chopped red onion, garlic and yellow peppers to that pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently

5 - Stir in the chopped kale and cook for a couple of minutes

6 - Drain the pasta and add to the pan of chicken and stir thoroughly

7 - Turn the heat off, keep the pan over the warm ring and stir in the quark

8 - Transfer the pasta to an oven proof dish, sprinkle over the grated cheese and place under a high grill to melt the cheese before serving


The kids loved the added melted cheese on the top but this meal could easily be served without it. When I add kale and other greens to a meal like this the kids always eat it, if I serve it on it's own they will not. Making these sneaky additions are a great way of getting extra goodness into the children's diets. This meal was a winner all round, the kids loved it, the Hubby got a boost of protein and it was an easy meal for me to make and gave me a delicious lunch the following day!


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!



6 comments:

  1. What a lovely healthy tasty and above all EASY recipe! Right up my street and perfect for busy weeknights!! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so lovely and tasty! I will have to look out for some quark. I used to often get it years ago when I lived in Germany for a year. It was very popular there but I've forgotten about it recently. Thanks so much for linking up with #CookOnceEatTwice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love easy pasta recipes like this, especially when they use up pasta odds-and-ends! I have to be a little more sneaky with my veggie delivery, since my youngest assiduously picks out any recognizable vegetable matter. (This is where spaghetti squash and puréed cauliflower come in handy!) I'll be crazy-busy next week, so I'm marking this easy recipe down for my meal plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tasty recipe! I love the fact that you've used kale stalks, I always get excited when I can sneak it into dishes (broccoli stalk is another favourite) :) Yum! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great easy dish, full of goodness and flavour and so quick to make:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect midweek meal. This would go down well in our house too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x