Tuesday 29 March 2016

Top Baking Kits from House of Fraser

Now that the children are enjoying the Easter holidays it is time to have some activities lined up for any rainy days. In our house, one of our favourite activities has to be baking. Baking is the ideal way to introduce the children to food preparation, cooking and kitchen safety.

When I was taking a look on the House of Fraser website I found some perfect baking kits that are going to be great to use with the kids over the holidays. Today I am going to tell you about the kits that I got and give you an ideal, quick recipe for the kids to try over the holiday!

These are the products that caught my eye...

First up I chose the Linea Macaroon Baking Set.


Macaroons are one of the few bakes that I have never tried. So when I saw this set from Linea I thought that having it would get me to make these delicate French treats. I know that this set is more for myself than the children but I still chose it as it shows you the range of kits that House of Fraser stock. The simple to use 15 piece kit contains:
  • 1 x 18 hole mini macaroon silicone non slip mat
  • 1 x 12 hole regular macaroon non slip silicone mat
  • 1 x 6 hole whoopi cake silicone non slip mat
  • Cotton and polyurethane piping bag
  • 10 x stainless steel tips and a cap for easy storage
Having the ridges on the silicone mats prevents the macaroon overlapping. Having this kit, especially with the mats, I cannot wait to have a go at making some macaroons. When I do I will be sure to write about how I get on!


Next up I chose these brightly coloured Linea Measuring Spoons.


The amount of times I end up hunting for measuring spoons is ridiculous. However with these vibrantly coloured measuring spoons on a ring they are all kept together on a hook on the kitchen wall. These spoons are a great way to practise colours with the children!

Finally I chose this great Linea Cupcake Making Kit.


This is the set that I chose for the children. All three of them love to bake and with this kit they will even be able to have a go at icing their cupcakes. The kit contains:
  • 1 double decorating icing bottle
  • 3 medium decorating icing bottles with caps
  • 4 stainless steel decorating tips
  • 1 icing bag
  • 4 plastic icing tips
  • 100 paper cupcake cases
  • 1 frosting spatula
I have found that the children struggle using an icing bag to decorate their cakes but these bottles are so much better for their little hands to handle and use.


The recipe that I am going to share with you today is for a quick and simple sponge recipe to make the cupcakes. This is what to do...


Vanilla Sponge Cupcakes

Ingredients - makes 10 cakes

100g baking margarine
100g caster sugar
2 eggs
100g self raising flour
1 tsp Madagascar vanilla essence

225g unsalted butter
500g caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C


1 - Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until all of the ingredients are evenly combined and you have a smooth cake batter

2 - Spoon the cake mixture evenly into the cupcake cases

3 - When the oven has reached the desired temperature add the baking tray of cupcakes and bake for 20 minutes

4 - Once thoroughly baked leave to cool completely on a cooling rack

5 - To make the icing mix the butter until it is light and creamy and gradually add the sugar

6 - Once all of the sugar has been added stir in the vanilla extract

7 - Whip again until light and fluffy and decorate using the bottles


These little cakes are deliciously light and fluffy on the inside and leaves the top with a crispy texture. My favourite icing bottle has to be the double bottle. With it you can have a lovely two coloured icing decoration. As you can see we went for cream and pink and even added some hundreds and thousands!


Enjoy x


Disclosure: I received these products for the purpose of this post. No cash payment was received. All words, views and opinions are my own and 100% honest. 
CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Casa Costello

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cupcakes Kirsty, and so prettily decorated. I totally agree that the icing bottle allowing two differently coloured frostings to be piped simultaneously is great. I've tried it with two piping bags sat into a third and although it's do-able it's pretty fiddly.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours Kirsty! I'm always intrigued how well these piping sets work but still cannot get over the beauty of dual coloured cupcakes. great review. Thanks once again for joining in with #BakeoftheWeek x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x