Wednesday 12 July 2017

Easy Chicken, Chorizo and Bean Rice - A Perfect Midweek Meal

This last week I have realised how hard it is to juggle home life and working full time. I have found that when I get home in the evening all I have wanted to do it relax. But when you come home to a family, relaxing is way down on the list. So to make life a little easier I have been looking for ways to make meal time not only stress free but also tasty. I quickly realised that the freezer was going to become my best friend. I do not normally have many frozen foods in but this week they have been life savers. Having pre prepared frozen vegetables, in particular, has saved me no end of time and this recipe shows you how versatile and full of goodness they are.

We all love the chicken and chorizo combination. Chorizo add such a fantastic depth of flavour, you really do not need to worry about extra herbs or spices. When cooking easy midweek meals, the least washing up the better, so I have made this a chore saving one pot meal. Tasty, easy and not a lot of pots, what more could you wish for?

This is what I did...


Chicken, Chorizo and Bean Rice


Ingredients

500g chicken breast
200g mixed frozen mushrooms
150g frozen peas and sweetcorn
200g chorizo, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
125g frozen spinach
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin of kidney beans
400mls chicken stock
300g long grain rice
1 tbsp oil

Method

1 - Heat the oil in a large saute pan and gently fry the onions for 5 minutes

2 - Add the red pepper, chorizo and chicken and continue to cook for 10 minutes

3 - Next add the rice, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and chicken stock and mix thoroughly

4 - Gently bring to the boil then add the mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn and spinach, cover the pan and leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until the rice has softened


This really was a full of flavour meal that was not only quick and easy to make but there was even enough left for the hubby and I to take to work the following day.


What is your go to mid week meal?

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love these simple dish this. They might be easy but that doesn't mean they are not tasty I bet this does! I love adding chorizo to rice it packs in so much flavour and I am not adverse to using frozen vegetable too as you say perfect for busy working mums. Thank you for sharing on #CookBlogShare (sorry about deleting earlier recipe just wanted to edit it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook a very similar sort of dish but with different veggies. Its great to get some new ideas so I must try yours next time. It sounds lovely. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x