Friday 28 July 2017

Raspberry and Blackcurrant Meringue Pie - A kMix Recipe

Last week I told you how to make my super yummy Raspberry and Blackcurrant Curd and this week I am going to share a recipe that is a perfect way to use some of that curd. My Raspberry and Blackcurrant Meringue Pie is a delicious alternative to the traditional lemon meringue and one that we all love!


Ever since trying the kMix a few weeks ago to make my lemon and lime meringue pie I have wanted to make more meringue, which as we have chickens and get a lot of eggs it is a great way to use some of them up! Since using the Kenwood stand mixer to make meringues gone are the days of collapsed meringue. Using the kMix they come out so fluffy and with very little effort from me. The kMix does all the hard work and lets me show off my puddings! 

If you love meringue pies, this dessert will not disappoint. The sharp but sweet flavour from the curd accompanied by the fluffy meringue and the sweet pastry will leave any diner coming back for more!

This is what I did...

Raspberry and Blackcurrant Meringue Pie

Ingredients

320g sweet shortcrust pastry
4 egg whites
175g caster sugar
1.5 tsp cornflour

Method

1 - If like me you are a little lazy when it comes to pastry, remove your ready made pastry from the fridge and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes before using. If you like to make your own, this is a great recipe!

2 - Pre heat the oven to 180C

3 - Line a loose bottomed flan tin with the pastry, cover with baking paper and fill with baking beans

4 - Place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 15 minutes

5 - Remove the tin for the oven and take out the baking paper and baking beans, careful they are very hot!

6 - Return the pastry to the oven to brown off for a further 10 minutes before removing from the oven to cool slightly

7 - Reduce the heat of the oven to 160C

8 - To make the meringue place the egg whites in the mixer bowl and using the balloon whisk beat the eggs until you have soft peaks. When the meringue is ready you will be able to hold the bowl upside down and they will stay put.

9 - Once you have reached this point, continue whisking and slowly add the sugar and cornflour, this will give you lovely silky egg whites which, when baked, you will have a delicious crisp to the outside with a fluffy inside!

10 - Spoon in enough raspberry and blackcurrant to fill the pastry case two thirds

11 - Spoon on the meringue and using a fork create small peaks, when baked these will go lovely and crisp!

12 - Place the completed pie in the centre of the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the meringue is a lovely golden colour


This meringue pie has become a new favourite in our house. When I told my dad, whose favourite dessert is lemon meringue pie, he really was not sure if he would enjoy it as he loves the lemon version. But I was delighted when even he said how delicious it was!


The flavours and textures from the three elements compliment each other perfectly to give you a decadent summer dessert!

Even the kids loved it!


Keep an eye out next week for another recipe using my curd.



Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Hijacked By Twins

Disclosure: I was sent a Kenwood kMix for the purpose of this post. No cash payment was received.

5 comments:

  1. delicious - love the use of raspberry and blackcurrant in this. A lovely alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this twist on lemon meringue pie, rapsberry and blackcurrant sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon Meringue Pie is my absolute favourite... so I am very curious to see what it is like with other fruits instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love a good twist on meringue pie. Great flavours for summer Kirsty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. woww such a lovely packing lol i'm gonna order the first and the last one couz i love desi and italian cuisine. thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x