Wednesday 19 July 2017

Raspberry and Blackcurrant Curd

After the hubby built the fruit frame a couple of years ago each year we have had more and more berries to harvest. This year is no exception. I do normally make jam but this year wanted to make something different and something a bit more versatile. So I decided to make a curd. We all love the creamier texture of a curd and it is perfect spread on hot toast, warm, fresh bread, scones and it ideal for a meringue pie!

Next week I have got a summer meringue pie recipe to share but before I do I thought that I would share with you how to make the basic curd. This curd can be the basis of so many different bakes and recipes. So expect to see more recipes that use this curd as I am sure that we will get a lot more berries over the season!

This is what I did...


Raspberry and Blackcurrant Curd

Ingredients

750g raspberries and blackcurrants (I used 2 thirds of raspberries and 1 third of blackcurrants)
300g caster sugar
4 tbsp cornflour
Juice of 1 lemon
4 egg yolks
25g unsalted butter

Method

1 - Place the raspberries, blackcurrants, sugar, lemon juice and 75mls of water in a pan and heat over a medium heat, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer

2 - Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes

3 - Remove the pan from the heat and let the fruit cool for about 15 minutes

4 - Once it has cooled slightly pour the fruit into a blender and blitz into a puree

5 - To remove the seeds pour the puree through a sieve and into a bowl, discard the seeds

6 - Pour the smooth puree back into the pan

7 - Whisk together the egg yolks and the cornflour until you have a smooth paste

8 - Return the pan to a low heat and stir in the yolk mixture and heat gently stirring continuously, increase the heat to medium and continue to stir until the mixture thickens

9 - Once it is at the desired thickness remove from the heat and place in hot, sterilised jars, put on the lid and allow to cool before placing in the fridge

This curd will keep well in the fridge for about a week.


I absolutely adore this curd and have got so many ideas that incorporate the sweet goodness from this curd. What is great about it is that you can use whatever combination of berries or currants. I know that as our fruit ripens the quantities will change. My next batch will probably use more blackcurrants as the shrub is full of ones ready to ripen!


Over the weekend we visited RHS Harlow Carr and made an essential stop off at Betty's tearoom and came home with plenty of delicious bakes, including their famous Yorkshire Fat Rascals which were the perfect bake for my curd to top!


I really am looking forward to trying more variations of this curd and keep an eye out next week for this delicious summer meringue pie recipe!


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


Hijacked By Twins
Link up your recipe of the week

7 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I have never made homemade curd but I am a huge fan of raspberry curd after buying some in our farm shop recently - I'm sure a homemade one is even better though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Corina it is so good, easier and quicker to make than jam! I keep going and eating it by the spoon! x

      Delete
  2. I have only ever made lemon curd but this one looks amazing! I love the colour too! It looks great in your meringue pie, I bet you could even us it in Victoria Sponge. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine this curd is divine! Such a good idea to use your seasonal fruit in a recipe like this one. Thank you for bringing it to #CookBlogShare:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making different curds and red ones are my favourites! I love making wild and wacky meringue pies too..... so I'll keep my eye out for yours.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making homemade curds Kirsty - this one has such an AMAZING colour!
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this before. Just clicked from Angela's round up. Will have to wait for next year now. or I could use some of the frozen blackcurrants i have with my Autumn raspberries but shall definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x