Friday 22 November 2013

Apple and Stilton Twist Bread

This is a bread that I have wanted to bake for a while now.
So you can imagine my excitement when I noticed that I had some Stilton left over in the fridge!
I love the sharp taste that the blue gives Stilton cheese. I find that it is either a cheese that you love or hate.
I have added the apple because I have always enjoyed a ploughman's lunch because of the cheese and apple combination with the salad and bread.
So what better way to mix the flavours that I love in a loaf!
Here is what I got...
 
Apple and Stilton Twist Loaf
 
Ingredients
 
500g Tesco Finest strong white flour
10g fast acting yeast
8g salt
30g softened butter
300 - 320mls warm water
1 eating apple, grated
100g Stilton blue cheese crumbles into small pieces

Method

1 - Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and place the flour on one side of the bowl and the yeast on the other. Add the softened butter and gradually add the water until you have a rough dough.

2 - Place the dough on the work top and start to knead.

3 - Once your dough has a smooth elasticated finish to it, place it in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to prove for at least an hour or until it has doubled in size.

4 - Remove the dough from the bowl and split into two pieces. Pre heat the oven to 200C.
 
5 - Flatten each piece of dough into a rectangle. As you flatten and shape the dough you should be knocking out any excess air that is in the dough.
 
6 - On one piece of dough spread out the grated apple leaving a long edge of dough plain. Roll the dough towards the plain dough edge, using this to seal the roll and pinch in and fold the ends over.
 
7 - On the other piece of dough repeat step 6 with the Stilton.
 
8 - Take your two rolled pieces of dough and join two of the ends together and twist the rolls so that they become one.
 
 
9 - Place the dough in the pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until it is a nice brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
 

 
This bread is delicious warm as it is or when cold with some salad, cooked meat and pickle.
With each bite you get a different flavour. One bite gives you a lovely light bread, the next could be the sweetness from the apple or the sharpness from the Stilton.
This is definitely a bread that I will be making again, it really is worth the wait!
 
Enjoy x
 
Disclaimer
Tesco sent me a bag of their Finest Very Strong White Bread Flour to bake with. Thank you!
 
The Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Helen and Jenny at:


2 comments:

  1. what a great idea for a loaf! you are steaming ahead with all this baking Kirsty - the plait looks really good too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh what a great combo, I love stilton & apple! I'm getting so hungry now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x