Wednesday 6 November 2013

Bonfire Treats

It was my hubby who set me a challenge. I do not like to give in to a challenge so I took him on and what a fab challenge it was!

It has resulted in a new bake!

As it was bonfire night, and my hubby is a Yorkshire man, he wanted me to make some traditional bonfire night treats of Yorkshire Parkin and Cinder Toffee. I have never made either of these so I had to look for some recipes for inspiration. I followed the cinder toffee recipe to the note as this is something that I have never made before so was going into this completely blind. I followed this recipe.

However, I have made a ginger cake before and after reading about Yorkshire Parkin I realised that it is pretty much a ginger cake with added spice and oatmeal.

This is what I did...

Yorkshire Parkin

Ingredients

110g Stork margarine
110g soft dark brown sugar
50g black treacle
200g golden syrup
200g oatmeal
110g self raising flour
2 tspn ground ginger
2 tspn Steenbergs organic mixed spice
2 eggs, room temperature, beaten
1 tbsp whole milk

Method

Pre heat the oven to 140C/120 fan/Gas mark 1

1 - Place the butter, sugar, black treacle and golden syrup in a pan and gently heat until all the ingredients have melted together. Once melted remove from the heat

2 - Place the flour, oatmeal, ground ginger and mixed spice in a large mixing bowl and mix together so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed, make a well in the middle

3 - Gradually add the melted mixture and fold in

4 - Add the beaten eggs and milk and mix until all of the ingredients are combined together

5 - Place the mixture in a well greased cake tin
I took a little of the cake mixture and placed it into cupcake papers as I wanted to make some smaller, fun, decorated cakes for Joseph to enjoy

6 - Place in the oven and cook for between 1 hour and an hour and a half. After an hour place a knife through the centre, if it comes out clean the cake is ready. Keep a close eye on the cake as it needs to be taken out as soon as it is ready as if it is kept in too long is can very easily become over done very dry! If you are making any cupcakes check them regularly after 30 minutes.

Once the cake has cooled it can be eaten as it is, which is how my hubby likes it or it can be topped with some melted chocolate, as Joseph likes! I have decorated the cupcakes with melted chocolate, sugar strands and popping candy!

I also decorated some of the larger cake with melted chocolate and some broken up pieces of cinder toffee that I made.

Here I have some fantastic bonfire treats that I think will become a bonfire night tradition from now on!

Enjoy x
 

Disclaimer:

Steenbergs sent me the lovely Organic Mixed Spices to bake with. Thank you! Visit Steenbergs for more information and to see their produce.

Stork also sent me some of their great spread to bake with. Thank you! Visit Bake With Stork for more information.
  

4 comments:

  1. mmm the parkin looks lovely, as does the cinder toffee. I made some last year but haven't made it since...I want to make it again now I've seen yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh yum i have never tried parkin but having read this i think i am keen to try some! and i would probably enjoy chocolate on mine too. and your cinder toffee looks really good too - i made it once and it bubbles and foams a lot doesnt it??
    keep up the good baking work :) and thank you for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I'm a Yorkshire lass and love parkin, thanks for sharing! Do link up to #tastytuesdays if you fancy it: http://honestmum.com/tasty-tuesdays-melitzanoslata-aubergine-dip/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that sounds good, I'll have a look and link up x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x