Monday 18 November 2013

Onion and Pepper Pickle

When it gets to this time of year I love preparing pickles, jams and chutneys for my homemade Christmas hampers that we give as gifts.
Yesterday I decided to look what I had got plenty of in the fridge and use to make a new pickle to go into them this year.
I found that I had plenty of onions, both red and white, and peppers.
So there it was, my basis for a lovely pickle!
I love how onions and peppers go so well together.
They go together perfectly and create a real sweet but tangy flavour to the pickle.
Here is what I came up with...
 
Onion and Pepper Pickle
 
Ingredients
 
3tbsp olive oil
1.5kg of red, yellow, green peppers, red onions and white onions
250g light muscovado sugar
350ml red wine vinegar
250g raisins
2tspn English mustard powder
1tspn paprika
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn black pepper
 
Method
 
1 - Chop all of the vegetables
 
2 - Place the olive oil in a large pan a heat
 
3 - Once hot add the vegetables and cook on a medium heat for 5 - 10 minutes
 
4 - Add the muscovado sugar and raisins. Heat for about 10 minutes stirring at regular intervals to prevent the sugar from sticking and over cooking
 
5 - Add the red wine vinegar, turn up the heat and bring to the boil
 
6 - Reduce to a medium heat once it has reached boiling point and leave uncovered to simmer
 
7 - Once the liquid has reduced and you can create a channel through the middle when dragging a wooden spoon through the centre of the pan your pickle is ready to pot
 
8 - Take your hot, sterilised jars with wax seal lids, fill with the pickle and place the lids on tightly as the jars and pickle cools the centre of the lid will drop sealing the jar
 
9 - Store the jars at room temperature whilst sealed and can be kept for up to 3 months. Once opened store in the fridge
 
It is so easy to use and can be altered to your taste. I find that pickling is a great way to use up any extra vegetables that may be left over in the fridge and certainly reduces food waste!
I was unable to resist having some of this tangy pickle and have opened a jar today to have with my lunch. It was delicious with some mature cheddar cheese and grilled spelt bread, but will also go well with meat or any other way that you wish!
 
Enjoy x
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x