Monday 11 November 2013

Spotted Dick Roly Poly

Yesterday I forgot to prepare my pudding until last minute!
This is not like me at all, but we were online shopping for the children's Christmas presents so I have a good excuse.
So I needed to think of a yummy, warming pudding that would be quick and easy to make.
I love spotted dick puddings but I didn't have a recipe to hand but I have an idea what is used to make it so I had a go.
The first, and only other, suet pudding that I made was my Jam Roly Poly so I had the basics for the pudding part.
With a few twists this is what I came up with.....
 
Spotted Dick Roly Poly
 
50g butter
250g self raising flour
1tbsp Steenbergs mixed spice
150 - 200g sultanas, adjust to taste
50g shredded vegetable suet
150mls full fat milk
Caster sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle
 
Place a deep roasting tin on the bottom of the oven and put boiling water in to about 3/4 of the way and preheat the oven to 180C
 
1 - Put the butter, flour, and mixed spices into a food processor and mix until you have fine breadcrumbs.
 
2 - Put the flour mixture into a mixing bowl and add the suet and milk and mix. I found it easier to mix this with my hands, as I would bread dough.
 
3 - Once you have a dough like mixture place on a lightly floured worktop and roll out into a square.
 
4 - Take the sultanas and spread out onto the dough so that they are spread out evenly. You can add more or less to taste. Leave about 1cm free of fruit at the edge closest to you.

5 - Roll the dough towards the fruit free edge and using the fruit free edge seal. This will be the base of your pudding. Roll over the pudding.

6 - Mix a little caster sugar with some cinnamon powder and sprinkle over the top of the pudding roll.
 
7 - Lay out some tin foil and line with greaseproof paper. Smear butter all over the greaseproof paper and place your rolled dough onto it.

8 - Bring up the sides of the foil and greaseproof paper and scrunch them together. Do not wrap the pudding tightly as it will expand!

8: Place the foil wrapped pudding on the shelve above the roasting tin of water and leave to bake for 1 hour

9 - After an hour carefully open the wrap, leave for a couple of minutes then serve.

This is a rolled twist on a classic and is delicious with custard, cream or in our case vanilla ice cream. However you chose to serve it is a lovely warming autumnal pudding.
Enjoy x
 

 
 
Disclaimer:
Steenbergs generously sent me the lovely Organic Mixed Spices to bake with. Thank you!
Visit http://www.steenbergs.co.uk/ for more information and to see their produce.
 
The Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Helen and Jenny at:

 
 
Also shared on A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week check out some lovely recipes!http://www.amummytoo.co.uk/tag/recipeoftheweek/
 
Link up your recipe of the week
 

6 comments:

  1. wow you are really bvaking mad at the moment and this suet spotted dick (sniggers!) pudding looks lovely. those steenbergs spices are so nice and their smell is just wonderful when baking with it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always baking lol! Im a self confessed bake-a-holic! But with some lovely freebies Im making sure I post all of my bakes using them :-) x

      Delete
  2. We had Jam Roly Poly tonight....Yours sounds much nicer x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a good jam roly poly too! Its the perfect time of year for hot puddings x

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of roly poly with sultanas. Can't beat a hot pudding with custard this time of year. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can beat a nice comforting pudding at this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x