Tuesday 15 December 2015

Bejewelled Brussels Sprouts

It is the time of year when sprouts are in season. Love them or hate them you simply cannot get away from them. I will admit to not being a fan of the mini cabbages, but I will admit to changing!

This recipe has changed my opinions on these traditional Christmas vegetables. Last year I roasted them and started to come around to them. This year I decided to go one further and add some additional flavours to them.

The one thing that I find that sprouts are lacking is the sweet touch, something to make them more appealing. I know that red onions, when caramelising during cooking go perfectly with cabbage. So I decided to add those to the sprouts and some other flavours that I know go well with cabbage.

All of these flavours combined with the sprouts go together so perfectly and I now love sprouts!

This is what I did...


Bejewelled Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

200g Brussels Sprouts
8 rashers of smoked bacon, rind removed and chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
50g dried cranberries
50g chestnuts, chopped
Handful of pomegranate seeds
Spray olive oil

Method

1 - Steam the Brussels sprouts for 5 - 10 minutes or until they are starting to soften

2 - Heat some spray olive oil in a frying pan and add the chopped bacon and red onions and fry for 5 minutes

3 - While the bacon and onions are cooking slice the sprouts in half

4 - Add the sprouts and chestnuts to the frying pan and fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat

5 - Stir in the cranberries and cook for a further 5 minutes

6 - Before serving scatter over a handful of pomegranate seeds


All of these ingredients not only look amazing together but all of their flavours marry together to create such a flavoursome side dish you will not just want to serve it at Christmas, you will want it all year round!


Enjoy x
CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com
Link up your recipe of the week

4 comments:

  1. These look amazing! With a few adaptions I think I am going to do this for Christmas...but not on Christmas day because we are having pizza at the kids request! The full Christmas dinner will happen on Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound and look delicious! I do love sprouts though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of the cranberries. I also didn't use to like brussel sprouts but I started being a bit more adventurous a couple of years ago and now I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Wow!I adore sprouts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x