Tuesday 1 December 2015

Chicken and Butternut Squash Casserole with Potato and Pea Mash - CookBlogShare Week 20

At this time of year I love to cook casseroles. They are always such warming meals that are so comforting on a cold, wet day. You will probably know how I am constantly trying to get extra vegetables into our meals. One way that I have found it so easy to get some extra goodness into the children is by adding different vegetables to the potatoes when I am going to mash them. In this recipe I have added peas to the mash. They worked so well together, the flavours were perfect and were a great accompaniment with the chicken and butternut squash.

This is a great meal as you can simply leave it in either a casserole dish in a low heat oven or in the slow cooker until ready. As the meal cooks your kitchen will be filled with delicious aromas as the ingredients cook and come together.

This is what I did...


Chicken and Butternut Squash Casserole with Potato and Pea Mash

Ingredients

3 chicken breast, diced
1 butternut squash, skin and seeds removed and chopped
2 courgettes, sliced and halved
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
750g potatoes, peeled and chopped
150g frozen peas

Method

1 - Pre heat the oven to 150C

2 - Brown off the diced chicken and add to a casserole dish with a lid

3 - Gently fry the onions for 5 minutes or until they are starting to soften then place in the casserole dish with the chicken

4 - Add the butternut squash, courgette, red pepper and the chopped tomatoes along with half a tin of water to rinse out any remaining sauce from the chopped tomatoes

5 - Place the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven and cook slowly for 4 hours, stirring well every hour or so

6 - Half an hour before the casserole is ready place the chopped potatoes and peas in a pan of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to mash

7 - Mash and add any butter if required, however I found that with the pea addition I did not need to add any butter

8 - Once the sauce has cooked serve with a good helping of the potato and pea mash


This really is a lovely, warming meal that is perfect for this time of year. I cooked this casserole in the oven but it can also be made in a slow cooker. Either way it will be a meal that the whole family will love. Ever since I made this mash I have had numerous requests for it again it was a huge success and if you wanted to you could even add some other green vegetable chopped up!


Enjoy x

Now over to you! I cannot wait to see what you have been making this week. You can share any foodie post, both old or new, savoury or sweet. There are no themes simply share what you have enjoyed!

You can check the #CookBlogShare linky rules here if you wish to recap.

So get cooking, get blogging and share with us all!
CookBlogShare


6 comments:

  1. I adore butternut squash, and this sound so lovely cooked as a casserole with all of those extra veggies
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I am feeling hungry just looking at it. So my kind of food - I love anything that you can pop in the oven earlier and ignore until dinner time! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recommendation, I'm definitely on the look out for versatile dishes that I can make mid-week or when time is tight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chicken & butternut squash casserole looks delicious Kirsty, perfect for this time of year. Thanks for hosting x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This casserole sounds delicious, perfect for these chilly days we've got at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x