Tuesday 8 December 2015

Gluten Free Spiced Chocolate Cake

This is a recipe that started off as a good old chocolate cake. As it is nearing the festive time of year I decided to add some mixed spice. I love to add mixed spice to bakes, it really can give any bake a festive touch. Plus I adore the combined spices!

This got me to thinking about how I could make this cake something a bit more special. This led me to look in Novembers Degustabox for more inspiration. In there I discovered both Jim Jams No Added Sugar and Gluten Free chocolate spread and Food Thoughts Organic Cocoa Powder. They would both be the perfect ingredients for this festive, gluten free chocolate cake.

This is what I did...


Gluten Free Spiced Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

200g spread
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
175g gluten free flour
25g organic cocoa powder
1/2tsp xanthan gum
1/2tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
1tsp mixed spice
1tbsp milk (I used rice milk)

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Mix together the spread and caster sugar together until light and creamy

2 - Gradually add the eggs, one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Add the remaining flour, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, gluten free baking powder, vanilla paste, mixed spice and the milk and combine together

4 - Divide the cake mixture between two, prepared sandwich tins

5 - Place the sandwich tins in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the cakes are thoroughly baked

6 - Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack

7 - Once the cakes have cooled completely spread a lovely thick layer of chocolate spread on the base cake

8 - Place the second cake on top of the base cake and add another, thick, gooey layer of delicious chocolate spread and sprinkle over the cranberries


This cake is a deliciously gooey alternative to a Christmas cake. The festive spices totally transform this regular chocolate cake. The children loved the addition of the chocolate spread and I enjoyed the sharp sweetness from the cranberries.

Enjoy x
CookBlogShare
Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

4 comments:

  1. I'm a massive fan of normal Christmas cake but I would definitely not say no to this version!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Kirsty, love the sound of using mixed spice in the cake, your sponge looks lovely and light x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea to add mixed spice to chocolate, can't wait to try this myself to see what it tastes like! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious. Will have to try that. :) Love chocolate ginger biscuits. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x