Friday 16 June 2017

Race for Life Energy Boost Flapjacks

Last week my mum and I completed the race for life. We usually run in the morning but the race for life was being held in the evening so I knew that we would both need an energy boost both before and after the race. This is how this recipe came along. After doing some research into foods I discovered that malt extract is a fantastic, healthy way to boost sugar levels and replenish your energy levels. Malt extract is not something that is widely available in supermarkets but I did find some in our local Holland and Barrett store. In this recipe I have paired the malt extract with honey, bananas, dates and plenty of protein!

This is what I did...

Energy Boost Flapjacks

Ingredients

3 ripe bananas, mashed
50g dried chopped dates
50g peanuts
100g mixed dried fruits, I used a mixture of sultanas, raisins, goji berries, blueberries
200g oats
25g chia seeds
75g honey
75g malt extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 160C

1 - Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine thoroughly

2 - Line and grease a loose bottom square cake tin that is approximately 21cms x 21cms

3 - Spoon in the mixture and press down so that is nice and compact

4 - Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes

5 - After 30 minutes remove from the oven and using a sharp knife cut into 12 pieces, if you like smaller slices then slice more, and leave to cool completely in the tin

6 - Once cool remove from the tin and store in an air tight container


These flapjacks are full of goodness from the ingredients that I have used. Chia seeds and oats are full of fibre, honey and malt extract are natural sweeteners, the dried fruits add an extra texture and the crunch and added protein from the nuts make these a deliciously healthy snack!


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the race for life! I am sure these fabulous flapjacks kept your energy levels up:) #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Kirsty, I love the idea of using Malt Extract, it's something I've come across before but have to admit that I've never used it. Massive wellsone too on completing race for Life :-)
    Angela xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your race for life. These flap jacks look amazing and so much better for you than ones packed with lots of sugar which can only be occasional treats.

    Thank you for sharing on #CookBlogShare this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x