Wednesday 7 June 2017

Honey and Lavender Cake

I love this time of year. In the garden produce is growing and flowers are coming into bloom. One of our favourite flowers has to be lavender. Not only does it smell amazing and look beautiful but it also goes perfectly in bakes. In the past I have usually paired lavender with lemon and my Lemon and Lavender Cake has always been a huge success! But this time I wanted to try something different and was delighted with the results.

This is what I did...

Honey and Lavender Cake

Ingredients

150g baking spread
150g golden caster sugar
150g self raising flour
3 eggs
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lavender flowers
50g icing sugar

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Place the baking spread and golden caster sugar in a mixing bowl and mix until light and creamy

2 - Add the eggs one at a time along with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Mix in the remaining flour along with the honey and the lavender flowers

4 - Beat until you have a smooth cake batter

5 - Pour the mixture into a lined and greased loaf tin and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until thoroughly baked

6 - Once completely baked remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack

7 - Once cool place the icing sugar in a bowl and add one to two teaspoons of water and mix into a paste

8 - Drizzle over the cake and decorate with lavender


This is such a lovely, light cake that is full of the flavour of summer. If you use lavender from your garden it is always good to remember that if the flowers have dried the flavour becomes stronger so adjust the amount that use use accordingly.

Do you use lavender in food? What is your favourite way to use it?


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


Hijacked By Twins
Casa Costello

10 comments:

  1. Lavender cakes are so 'Summer' aren't they? Alongside strawberries and cherries, they are one of those iconic flavourings...... Sadly, Miss and Mr GF have always complained when I have made lavender cake (they really are way too 'particular'), so I will just have to come over to yours to try it! Can you make it GF for me please? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious and Summery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing - I love the taste of lavender in a cake x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of lavender in a cake and this one is so easy to make too. Looks like a great Summery bake perfect with a cuppa. I've got couple of lavender plants in the garden so will try and put them to good use with your recipe Kirsty :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds delicious! I have very fond memories of going to a lavender farm somewhere in the New Forest and having lavender scones and lavender shortbread. It is such a delicious flavour, but I am not sure I've ever cooked with it myself - even though I have 5 massive lavender bushes in my garden!! Thanks for linking this up with #CookBlogShare :-D Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delicious looking cake and so few ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound (and look) of this Kirsty, it must taste gorgeous especially if the scent of lavendar has anything to go by. it's something I've never used in bakes befor - but I know i really ought to change that. Thanks for the inspiration,
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you Kirsty, I love Lavender too. Although I've never used it in a bake. Your cake looks fantastic, I could happily eat a slice now with a cuppa. Commenting as BritMums Baking Round-up Editor. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so summery and I love the flavour mix

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, this look delicious Kirsty, just need to raid my sisters lavender bush now hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x