Friday 23 June 2017

Lemon and Lime Meringue Pie - A kMix Recipe

One of the hubby's favourite desserts has to be lemon meringue pie. He often moans that I do not make this a lot and he is right. I could not tell you the last time, before now, that I made one. So when I mentioned to him that I wanted to try out the balloon whisk attachment on the Kenwood kMix stand mixer he suggested a lemon meringue pie without hesitation. As I was baking for father's day I could not refuse.

When I made the pie it was one of the hottest days of the year so needless to say I did not want to be in the kitchen for hours so I did cheat a little. Instead of making my own pastry I did buy some pre made shortcrust pastry. Unfortunately it did not turn out as well as when I make my own. I must confess I did wonder whether or not to share this recipe simply because of the poor pastry but the pie tasted amazing and the meringue was the best I made! Plus I am only human, not every single meal or recipe I make turns out Instagram perfect, but hey that is life!

When it came to making the meringue the Kenwood kMix did a fantastic job and I was able to hold the bowl upside down in no time! The meringue has to be the best meringue that I have ever made. It was so light and fluffy and once baked had the perfect crispy topping combined with the softer centre.

This is what I did...

Lemon and Lime Meringue Pie

Ingredients

320g shortcrust pastry

Curd

3 lemons, zest and juice
3 limes, zest and juice
65g cornflour
250g caster sugar
6 egg yolks
450mls water

Meringue

6 egg whites
250g caster sugar
2tsp cornflour

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C

1 - If you are making your pastry you can follow this recipe. Or if like me you are using pre prepared pastry roll it out so that you can line a loose bottomed flan tin

2 - Line the tin with the pastry topping the pastry with some baking paper and adding baking beans, this is to prevent the pastry from rising

3 - Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes before removing the baking beans and baking paper and returning to the oven to brown off for 5 - 10 minutes

4 - Remove from the oven and place on one side and reduce the heat to 170C

5 - To make the curd place the lemon and lime zest and juice in a bowl and add the cornflour, mix together until you have a smooth mixture

6 - Place the water in a pan and bring to the boil and reduce the heat

7 - Add the lemon and lime cornflour mixture and mix until the sauce has thickened then remove from the heat

8 - Place the egg yolks in a bowl with the caster sugar and whisk together

9 - Add the yolk and sugar mixture to the lemon and lime mixture and whisk until you have a smooth, thick curd and place on one side

10 - To make the meringue place the egg whites in the stand mixer bowl and whisk until you have soft peaks and the meringue does not fall out of the bowl when held upside down

11 - Gradually whisk in the caster sugar and cornflour one spoon at a time, do not rush this stage!

12 - Now it is time to build up your pie, spoon the lemon and lime curd into the pastry case followed by the meringue (you will have more meringue than you need for the pie only because I hate waste, whatever you have left place on a lined baking try to make individual meringue nests!)

13 - Place the pie in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the meringue is browned off a crisp

This pie is delicious served both warm or cold!


As you can see from the pictures the meringue is so fluffy, it was pure meringue heaven! This pie was such a success they have requested that I make it again this weekend!

Thanks to the Kenwood kMix I am not longer daunted by meringue and am planning more meringue based recipes!


This recipe is based on the queen of bakes Mary Berry's recipe on BBC Good Food.

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


Hijacked By Twins

5 comments:

  1. There is something timeless about a citrus meringue pie! I love them, but rarely have time to make them. I have made lots of variations along the way too..... the rhubarb and strawberry and the raspberry versions stand out as particularly memorable.
    Your pie looks like it has been baked to perfection Kirsty...... That filling looks so yummy.... I can almost taste it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love a good lemon meringue pie! It looks so fluffy and perfect, seriously yummy! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemon meringue pie Kirsty, my mum use to make it a lot for us when we were kids. Yours looks so zesty and the meringue topping so fluffy, delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for linking to #BakeoftheWeek x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one seriously fluffy looking meringue! I love a tarty Lemon & Lime meringue pie with the sweetness of the meringue so much! Thanks once again for joining in with #BakeoftheWeek - Great to have you part of the gang x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x