Friday 21 February 2014

Beef and Vegetable Cannelloni

I love Italian food and pasta. I especially love cannelloni but have not made it in a long time. This has mainly been because where I normally do our shopping do not have it in stock. However the last couple of weeks I have been going to a different shop and I was excited (I did actually get excited about pasta!) to see that they had cannelloni.
I will admit that it is such a fiddly meal to make but it really is worth the extra time and effort.
This is what you do...

Beef and Vegetable Cannelloni

Ingredients
 
500g mince beef
150g mushrooms, chopped
1 courgette, quartered and sliced
1 onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red pepper, chopped
Tomato passata with basil
1 beef stock cube
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp oregano
Cannelloni
200g soft cheese
40g mature cheddar, grated
2dsp Parmesan cheeses
50mls milk
 
Method
 
Pre heat the oven to 200C
 
1 - Dry fry the mince with the onions
 
2 - Once the mince has started to brown add the mushrooms, courgette, garlic and red pepper
 
3 - Once the beef has completely browned off and the vegetables are starting to soften add the tomato passata, the beef stock cube, cayenne pepper and oregano and mix well to ensure the oregano and cayenne pepper have been mixed in
 
4 - Bring to the boil and leave to simmer until the meat is cooked throughout then remove from the heat
 
5 - To make the cheese topping simply heat the soft cheese over a medium heat
 
6 - Once the soft cheese has melted down add the milk and grated cheese leaving a little by for the topping
 
7 - To prepare the dish to bake line the bottom of a dish with a layer of the beef and vegetable sauce
 
8 - Take the cannelloni tubes, one at a time and fill with the meat sauce this is messy and you will spill some sauce so I stand the tube up in the dish so it doesn't matter if it spills
 
 
9 - When you have filled enough cannelloni tubes to fill the dish pour over any remaining sauce before putting the cheese sauce over the top
 
10 - Sprinkle some grated cheddar,the Parmesan and a little oregano
 
 
11 - Place in a pre heated oven for 40 - 45 minutes
 
This is a delicious dish which has some of my favourite flavours.
We enjoyed it with some of my freshly made garlic and oregano fougasse.
Enjoy x
 
 
I am sharing my fish dish with Honest Mum's Tasty Tuesdays. This week Papa G shares a Rocket, Leek and Feta recipe which looks delicious! Check it out and other recipes at Honest Mum's Tasty Tuesdays
I am also sharing with A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week. Check out A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week for lots of delicious recipes

Link up your recipe of the week
 
 

3 comments:

  1. this looks so tasty and not so difficult which means i maybe able to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, really fancy this now, well done you (not sure I'm brave enough to make it but you've given me confidence) and thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great and relatively simple to make - I think my lot would love it. Thanks for linking up with #recipeoftheweek :) I've pinned and tweeted this post and there's a fresh linky live now. Hope you join in x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x