Monday 10 February 2014

Chicken Makhani - 52 Cook Books

The hubby has been telling me for quite a while to cook a curry.
 
When he said he wanted a curry, I thought, ok that's easy I always make my own curry.
 
But when he said a curry, he meant a proper curry, like you get from the takeaway! Unfortunately we rarely get a takeaway purely because of the cost. As it is Great British Budget month I thought that this would be a great way to see if we could enjoy takeaway style food without the cost!
 
Hubby came across this book at work and brought it home for me to look at. The Hairy Bikers Great Curries book contains recipes for any curry that you could imagine! It is great! So I decided to give it a go!
 
 
We love chicken Makhani so when I found that I knew I had to have a go at making one.
I have changed a couple of the ingredients as I couldn't find one of the spices and changed the hot chilli powder to mild chilli powder as I wanted this to be a curry that wouldn't be too hot for the children and I changed some of the quantities. I have also changed some of the method purely because of time! I didn't realise how time consuming it was to make true Indian curry but I now know for next time!
 
This is how I got on...
 
Chicken Makhani
 
Ingredients
 
4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
 
Marinade:
 
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cardamon seeds
4 cloves
1/2 tsp black pepper corns
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
20g root ginger, finely grated
4 tbsp fat free natural yogurt
 
Butter Sauce:
 
150g butter
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 red onion
1 white onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp turmeric
3 tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp fine sea salt
100 mls double cream
 
Method
 
1 - Place the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamon seeds, cloves and pepper corn in a dry frying pan and heat for a couple of minutes
 
2 - Place the heated spices into a pestle and mortar and grind up
 
3 - Add the turmeric, paprika, mild chilli powder and salt and grind up
 
4 - Place the spice mix into a large bowl and add the ginger, garlic and yogurt and mix together
 
5 - Add the chicken to the marinade mix ensuring that the chicken is coated, cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours
 
6 - Melt the butter in a pan and add the oil once heated up add the onions, garlic and ground ginger, lower the heat, cover and leave to cook until soft
 
7 - Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on metal rack and place under a high grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through out
 
8 - Once the onions are soft add the marinade that is remaining after the chicken has been removed, turmeric, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and salt
 
9 - Finally add the double cream and chicken and leave to cook for 10 minutes
 
Served with brown wholegrain rice, naan bread and an onion bhaji!
Just as good as a takeaway, not as easy but certainly a lot cheaper!
Enjoy x
 

 
 
52 Cook Books is hosted by Mary at Keynko. Take a look at Mary's Pesto and Parmesan bread and other recipes that are joining in!
Keynko A Crafty Family
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love curry and this one looks wonderful! I may have to have a try with quorn or veggies! Thank you for joining in lovely! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love curry and would happily help eat this one. Sometimes I find takeaway curry a bit disappointing and a lot saltier than I'd really like so home cooked curries are a very good thing (even though they can take a while to cook!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x