Friday 4 December 2015

Quick, Easy Microwave Cake - Surprise Chocolate Bottom Pudding

A couple of weeks ago the hubby was moaning that there was no cake in the house. So I gave in! But I certainly was not going to bake a regular, oven baked cake at 8 o'clock in the evening. So instead I made a microwave cake. This got me reminiscing about my childhood. I have many fond memories of doing some of my first baking with my Nanna using a microwave. Using a microwave is a great way to let children cook and bake more independently. I remember feeling so grown up as I could place the buns into the microwave, set the time and watch them bake. My Nanna had a traditional, round bun mould, which now seems to be classed as a 'vintage' piece of kitchenware and she had one of the first microwave ovens that were around in the 1980's. Now, 30 years on (yes I do feel old saying that) technology has improved no end. We now have a combination microwave that can also grill and cook like a regular oven and the moulds are now silicone.

I have been spending time trying to perfect this recipe and have been using a glass bowl. But now that the recipe is just how I want it to be I have been looking into buying some better microwave cake moulds. I did have a look for one like my Nanna had but they really are quite rare and the only one that I did find was from America! But this is what it was like...
Vintage Anchor Hocking Microwave Muffin Pan PM447-T1
Photograph courtesy of Amazon

Unfortunately I cannot find a brand new one and if I am honest I would only want it for old times sake. For the fact that it reminds me of my Nanna. But after taking a look at what products are available now for microwave cakes I am settling on silicone. Silicone is a great material to bake with. After only a slight greasing the cakes easily pop out thanks to the flexibility of the moulds. After looking around at different shops the best set that I have found has to be this 6 piece silicone bakeware set from ProCook Kitchenware. I love the colour of it but the fact that you get a great variety of moulds makes this a must have. Also with 50% off the retail price means that it is going on my 'to buy' list!


Now back to the cake. The first one that I made was a chocolate chip cake. I have also tried making a classic sponge. But I have found the chocolate chip cake the most successful. With small microwave cakes they are better eaten warm. With the chocolate chip cake as you cut the cake the chocolate chips spill out delicious melted chocolate. This led me to try something else which has turned out to be a perfect, quick dessert that will please and surprise your guests. Cooked in individual ramekins it is an ideal pudding and has just the right amount in, they are not too filling nor will they leave you hungry. It is perfect with a scoop of ice cream melting over the top!

So without further ado, let me tell you and show you what I did...



Surprise Chocolate Bottom Pudding

Ingredients - Makes 2 ramekin pot puddings


50g self raising flour
50g caster sugar
1 egg
1/2tsp vanilla paste
2tbsp coconut flour
20g chocolate drops
Chocolate powder for decorating

2 lightly grease ramekins

Method

1 - Place the coconut oil, sugar, flour and egg in a bowl and mix until you have a smooth batter

2 - Stir in the vanilla paste and coconut milk

3 - Using coconut oil, lightly grease 2 ramekins


4 - Divide the cake mixture between the 2 ramekins


5 - Divide the chocolate evenly and place in the centre of the ramekin


6 - Place in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes

7 - The puddings are completely baked once they are spongy to the touch. I used a 1000w microwave so depending on your microwave wattage you may need to cook for longer.


These light, moist, spongy desserts are delicious little treats, perfect just as they are. Or to make them a real treat, serve them warm with a scoop of ice cream over the top. I particularly recommend a nice big scoop of Haagen Dazs Baileys!


The surprise part of this pudding is the melted chocolate at the base of the ramekin.


During baking the chocolate drops go to the bottom and melt. I have found that using coconut oil adds a much nicer flavour to the cake than using other vegetable oil.


This pudding is not only absolutely scrumptious but is also so quick and easy to make! Time is no longer an excuse not to bake!

Enjoy x

CookBlogShare


This is a collaborative post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x