Tuesday 6 September 2016

Honey and Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes

As I was away when Great British Bake Off started and I missed cake week I thought that I would have a go at making some drizzle cakes. Aldi have challenged me to follow along with Bake Off and make a series of bakes using their products. I love to bake so love having an excuse to bake even more! Yesterday I shared my delicious Viennese Whirls so for today's recipe I made some cakes. I am still yet to catch up with the episode that I missed but I have seen a lot of people sharing drizzles cakes. But I have not made your average drizzle cake, I have decided to make mini versions that are great to put in the kids pack ups for school!

I have combined two classic flavours of honey and lemon. The two compliment each other perfectly and have made a cupcake that keeps you wanting more! I have not used regular honey, I have gone for Aldi's Specially Selected Manuka Type Honey.

Aldi have a great range of baking products and as the Great British Bake Off goes on I will be showing you how you can save money on your ingredients and create the best bakes.

This is what I did...

Honey and Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes

Ingredients

100g butter
2 eggs
1 lemon
Aldi Specially Selected Manuka Type Honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Topping

2 tbsp icing sugar
Water
Honey
Lemon

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C fan

1 - Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy

2 - Add the eggs one at a time with a little flour to prevent curdling

3 - Add the remaining flour, cinnamon, 1 tbsp of Manuka type honey and the juice of half a lemon and mix until thoroughly combined

4 - Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases and place in the centre of the pre heated oven for 20 minutes

5 - Once cooked remove from the oven

6 - Slice off two thin slices of lemon and squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon

7 - Mix 1 tsp of Manuka Type Honey into the lemon juice and drizzle over the warm cupcakes and allow to cool completely

6 - Once cooled mix the 2 tbsp icing sugar with a little water, add the water 1 tsp at a time until you have a thick icing for piping

7 - Place the icing in an icing bag and using a small circle nozzle pipe over lines over the cakes

8 - Drizzle over honey and finish with small segments of lemon


These cupcakes are so light and full of flavour. The cinnamon goes perfectly with the lemon and the rich Manuka type honey. The drizzle just adds a finishing touch that leaves the cake with a bitter yet sweet taste.


As I am a week behind with the Bake Off for my Aldi post next week I will be making more biscuits. Usually I am not a biscuit baker. I have not had much success in the past until now! I have got a great idea for a twist on the Viennese Whirls that I made this week so keep an eye of them next week!


I hope you have a great week and share with me your bakes!


Pin me for later!


Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.

8 comments:

  1. These look delicious, I am a real fan of Aldi and their own brand products are great quality and fab prices !

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy xx Nice touch to add a wee bit of lemon on the top so you can squeeze it to make it more lemony I guess xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious, Kirsty, love that lemon slice on the top for zing!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look beautiful and I know my son would be all over these as honey and lemon are two of his favourite flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh these do look good and I do love Manuka honey x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honey & lemon drizzle!! What a great combination. I will so be making these

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby has decided he is coming to live with you as I never make any cakes.......these look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh these look so delicious - I am no good at baking, but I do love GBBO! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x