Sunday 8 September 2013

Great Bloggers Bake Off - Week 3 Yummy Berry Trifle

This weeks Great Bloggers Bake Off is based on desserts!
Yummy!
Following on from Great British Bake Off the options this week were:

*Trifles
*Floating Islands
*Petits Fours

This was an easy decision for me.
I really did not like the look or sound of the Floating Islands (sorry) and I was not confident that I would have the time to create fantastic petits fours. So that has left me with trifle!
I love a good trifle but I have never made one, so this would be a great challenge for me, which I love!
I trawled through my cook books looking for some inspiration and little bit of direction as this is a completely new dish for me.
In the end I have combined a couple of recipes and added a twist of my own along the way.
Here, is the end result.

Yummy Berry Trifle

Sponge Fingers

3 medium eggs at room temperature, separated
75g caster sugar
1/4 tspn vanilla paste
75g plain flour
Icing sugar for dusting

Heat oven to 180C, gas mark 4, 350F
1: Whisk up the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff, I do hold the bowl upside down to be sure but do it gradually just in case they are not quite stiff enough!
2: Gradually add half of the caster sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy, again hold the bowl upside down to be sure. Set to one side
3: Put the egg yolks into another bowl, add the rest of the caster sugar and the vanilla paste. Whisk with an electric mixer until light and mousse like
4: Sift in the flour and gently mix with a metal spoon
5: Gently fold in half of the egg whites, try to do this using the fewest movements as possible, continue to add the rest of the whites, trying to keep the mixture stiff
6: Spoon the mixture into a large piping bag and pipe fingers onto a baking tray lined with grease proof paper. I needed to use two baking trays
7: Bake for approximately 10 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned
8: Leave to cool
9: I made these the day before and stored overnight in an air tight container

Custard

4 egg yolks
1 heaped tbspn caster sugar
1 tbspn corn flour
350ml full fat milk
1 vanilla pod, cut in half and seeded

1: Mix the egg yolks, caster sugar and corn flour together until smooth
2: Put the milk into a saucepan, cut the vanilla pod in half, lengthwise, scrape the seeds into the milk and place the vanilla pod in the milk
3: Heat gently until just below boiling point and then remove from the heat
4: Take out the vanilla pod
5: Gradually add the egg yolk mix and then return to the heat

 
 
6 Heat on a low - medium heat continuously stirring until thickened. Do not boil!
7: Pour into a bowl and cover with cling film and leave to completely cool






 



Fruit Filling

250g blueberries
150g Blackberries or Brambles
300g Strawberries, halved
3 tbspn caster sugar
1: Mix all of the berries together and split between two bowls
2: In one bowl sprinkle the caster sugar and lightly mash
3: Cover until ready to use
 

 
Cream Topping
220g mascarpone
220mls double cream
 
1: Whip the two creams together until thick
 
Making the Trifle
 
25mls Elderflower cordial
125mls White wine
 
1: Place the sponge fingers into a glass bowl
 
 
2: Mix the elderflower cordial and white wine together and pour over the sponge fingers and leave to soak in
3: Mix the whole fruit and the mashed fruit together and place on top of the sponge fingers
4: Next spoon on the custard, followed by the cream and mascarpone
5: Sprinkle over some chopped hazel nuts and decorate with strawberries
6: Place in the fridge until ready to serve
 
 
Enjoy x
 

 
This is my recipe for Great Bloggers Bake Off week 3 hosted by
 

 
 



2 comments:

  1. i love your trifle bowl and your trifle loosk and sounds lovely - i am very impressed that you challenged yourself to make all the components. thanks for taking part x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My nanna gave me the trifle bowl and she'd had it for years. Got to say the trifle did go down a success with everyone x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x