Sunday 22 September 2013

Great Bloggers Bake Off - Week 5 Traybakes

This week the theme for the Great Bloggers Bake Off is tray bakes.
I will admit that I don't do many tray bakes. If I do any its normally a flapjack. So this week was a challenge.
The one tray bake that I have wanted to have a go at for a long time is Millionaires Shortbread, purely because I love it!!!
So that was an easy choice.
I got started.
I made my dough for my shortbread then realised I hadn't actually got a tray deep enough for a tray bake! So I had to improvise. I have used a big, shallow cake tin. Hence the round Millionaires Shortbread.
I found the basic recipe on www.bbcgoodfood.com and just added a couple of my own ideas.

Millionaires' Nutty Shortbread

Ingredients

Shortbread

250g plain flour
75g caster sugar
175g butter, softened
 25g chopped roasted hazelnuts
 
Pre-heat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4
 
1: Mix the flour and caster sugar together
2: Rub in the butter to make breadcrumbs
 
 
3: Add the hazelnuts and knead into a dough
4: Put the dough into a prepared tin and press down. Prick the shortbread dough with a fork and place in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes
5: Once the shortbread is done leave to cool in the tin
 
 
 
Caramel
 
100g butter or margarine
100g light muscavado sugar
2 x 397g cans condensed milk
Chopped roasted hazelnuts to top
 
1: Place the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a pan and place over a medium heat
2: Bring to the boil stirring continuously
 
 
3: Once it has boiled turn the heat right down (I have an electric hob and turned my heat off completely as the heat is retained in the hob) and simmer for 5 minutes stirring continuously
4: After 5 minutes pour onto the cooled shortbread
 
 
5: Put by and allow the caramel to cool. Once the caramel top has set sprinkle over a couple of handfuls of chopped roasted hazelnuts and leave to completely cool.
 
 
 
Chocolate Topping
 
200g plain or milk chocolate
Fudge pieces
Chopped roasted hazelnuts
 
1: Melt the chocolate in a bowl over some boiling water
2: Once melted pour over the caramel and spread out evenly
3: Sprinkle over the fudge pieces and hazelnuts and leave to cool completely
 
 
Tip: If cooling in the fridge, remove for about 30 minutes before cutting. This should prevent the chocolate cracking!
 
Enjoy x
 
 

This is my recipe for Great Bloggers Bake Off week 5 hosted by


 

3 comments:

  1. that looks amazing..I love the addition of the nuts..mmmm!
    thanks for joining in

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm yet to make these, yours look lovley. Love the fudge on top.
    http://mycupcakehabit.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x