Sunday 15 September 2013

Great Bloggers Bake Off - Week 4 Pies - Egg Custards

This week it took me a while to decide what to bake.
I really wanted to be brave and do the technical challenge, Egg Custards, but this is a technical challenge!
Would I be able to rise to the occasion?
Or should I play it safe and bake a good old fruit pie?
One of the reasons that I am enjoying taking part in Great Bloggers Bake Off is because I am pushing my baking abilities, and trying new bakes.
So Egg Custards it would be!!!
I have never made egg custards before so I had to go through my cook books and where better place to start than The Great British Bake Off Everyday book!
Here are my results using Paul Hollywood's own recipe that was used for the technical challenge on The Great British Bake Off week 4!
I got so engrossed in my baking and was so nervous about the final results I realised, as I was putting the tarts in the oven, that I had forgotten to take photos! So sorry there are only a couple of pics this week!
 
Paul's Egg Custard Tarts
 
Ingredients
 
For the sweet pastry
165g plain flour
25g ground almonds
120g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
55g caster sugar
1 medium egg
 
For the custard filling
700ml full fat milk
7 medium yolks, at room temperature
90g caster sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg
 
Method
 
1: For the pastry, mix the flour and ground almonds together in a large bowl.
2: Add the butter and rub in until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
3: Stir in the sugar.
4: Break the egg into the bowl and work into a mixture with your fingers, then bring it all together to form a soft dough.
5: Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and shape into a ball, flatten into a disc, then wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes. (I made my pastry in the morning before we went out and left it in the fridge until I was ready to use)
6: Roll out the pastry on a floured worktop to about 5mm thickness. Cut out the discs and gently press into the muffin moulds. Chill the pastry cases while you make the custard.
7: Heat to oven to 200C, 400F, gas mark 6.
8: Gently warm the milk until just below boiling point.
9: Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and creamy.
10: Gently add the warm milk, stirring continuously.
11: Pour the custard mixture into a jug that pours well.
12: Take your pastry cases out of the fridge and carefully pour the custard mixture into the cases and sprinkle with the nutmeg.
13: Carefully place the muffin tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180C, 350F, gas mark 4 and bake for a further 10 minutes.
 
 
14: The tarts are done when the custard filling has slightly domed.
15: Once done, take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tray for 30 minutes before carefully removing the tarts.
 
Enjoy x
 
 

4 comments:

  1. you did so well, no soggy bottoms and no tarts unable to be removed from the tin and no leakages from the egg custard! i have never tried one of these before x
    thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I must admit one did break in half as it came out but it just got eaten lol x

      Delete
  2. your tarts look great, well done on pushing your boundaries & making them - I bet that pastry was really nice with the ground almonds in too.
    thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy and I really enjoyed making them x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x