Tuesday 29 October 2013

Heather Honey Cake

Unfortunaltly I missed week one of Great Bloggers Bake Off so I knew that I had to bake a cake during this month for the link.
Whilst we were away in Northumberland we visited the Chain Bridge Honey Farm where we bought some of their lovely heather honey.
As soon as I had a taste my baking mind was instantly on the go and thinking what delicious cakes could be made.
I couldn't wait to get baking once we got back home and this yummy cake is what I came up with!
 
Heather Honey Cake
 
Ingredients
 
150g Mixed dried fruit with citrus peel
100mls Bitter ale
150g Stork margarine
150g Golden caster sugar
175g Self raising flour
3 Eggs
2tblsp heather honey
 
Method
 
Pre heat the oven to 150C
 
1 - At least an hour before you want to make the cake place the dried mixed fruit in a bowl and pour over the bitter ale and leave to soak to plump up the fruit
 
2 - Cream together the Stork margarine and caster sugar until light
 
3 - Gradually add the eggs along with a spoon of flour to prevent curdling
 
4 - Sift in the flour and mix
 
5 - Add in the fruit and mix. I wanted the create a layer of bitter soaked fruit at the bottom of the cake, however if you want your fruit to be evenly distributed throughout the cake add it with the flour before mixing
 
6 - Place in a prepared cake tin and bake for about an hour or until a knife comes out clean when placed through the centre. After about 40 minutes check the cake as I found that it browned quite quickly and needed to cover with foil until it was baked all the way through
 
This cake is delicious when served warm either as it is or served with cream, ice cream or even custard!
Enjoy x 
 
 
 
With this recipe I used Stork margarine. This was very kindly sent by the Stork team for bloggers who took part in Great Bloggers Bake Off to bake with!
Thank you!
 
The Great Bloggers Bake Off is hosted by the lovely Helen and Jenny at:




4 comments:

  1. I love honey, I always find there is a massive difference when you buy local honey rather than mass produced supermarket honey. The cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true it tastes so much more delicious!! I even used it today to make bread using some fresh flour that we bought from a corn mill on holiday that I will be posting about too :-)

      Delete
  2. I used to hate honey but the last couple of years I have come to love it. This cake looks lovely - I know my lot would love it with custard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh cake made with honey is delicious , sweet and moist and full of flavour. its lovely that you bought the honey from a farm shop too xx
    thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x