Monday 28 October 2013

Porkie Picnic Pie - Star Baker Week 10!

This bake is inspired by a pork pie.
I love pork and pickle pies but I wanted to do something a little bit different.
My Porkie Picnic Pie is layered with ham, chutney, sausage meat and red onions with a layer of black pudding running through the middle.
The pastry is a plain flour crossed with a sage pastry.
After seeing poor Kimberley's picnic pie with a soggy bottom, I have played it safe and pre cooked my meat before putting into my picnic pie.
I am so proud to say that this pie won me Star Baker for week 10 of the Great Bloggers Bake Off that is hosted by the lovely Jenny and Helen at
Now I want to share my recipe on A Mummy Too's Recipe of the Week. There are some fantastic recipes at http://www.amummytoo.co.uk/2013/10/extraordinary-recipeoftheweek/ so check them out!
 
Porkie Picnic Pie
Ingredients
Sage Pastry
125g plain flour
65g chilled butter cubed
Pinch of salt
2 tspn dried sage
1 egg yolk
30 mls water
Plain Pastry
125g plain flour
65g chilled butter cubed
Pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
30 mls water
Filling
Ham
Sausage meat
Real ale chutney
Black pudding
Red onions
Method
1 - Make the plain pastry by adding the flour, butter and salt to a food processor and blitz until you bread crumbs consistency
2 - Add the egg yolk and water and blitz until it is starting to come together
3 - Remove from the food processor and form a ball, wrap in cling film and flatten into a disc
4 - To make the sage pastry do as before but add the sage with the flour
5 - Place both pastry discs into the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes
6 - To prepare the filling heat the oven to 180C
7 - Take the sausage meat and divide into two pieces and shape into rectangular shapes that will fit into the loaf tin that you will be using for the pie
8 - Place into the oven on a grill rack so that any fat juices are drained away from the meat
9 - Once cooked on both sides remove from the oven and leave on one side
10 - Take the black pudding and slice, then place into the oven until cooked on both sides and place on one side
11 - Take the pastry from the fridge and roll out
12 - Do the same with the sage pastry, then cut out even strips
13 - Lay the strips, evenly spaced over the plain pastry and roll so that the two pastries are mixed but still visibly different
14 - Line the loaf tin with baking paper this will make it easier to remove the pie
15 - Place the bottom pastry into the loaf tin
 
16 - Add a layer of ham, a layer of chutney, a layer of sausage meat, a layer of red onions, the black pudding, a layer of red onion, a layer of sausage meat, a layer of chutney and the final layer of ham



 

17 - Top with the sage pastry, glaze and place in the oven for 45 - 60 minutes
18 - For the handle roll some pastry and wrap with a thin roll of sage pastry, glaze and place in the oven with the pie
 
 
 
Link up your recipe of the weekGBBOo10.png

3 comments:

  1. Clever, I may have a go at making a veggie version soon, or hold out for next summer - picnic season is seriously over :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'd love to do a veggie one too. I did a real meaty one for my hubby as he always complains I don't do enough meaty ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO impressive. I don't think I'd even dare attempt it! Pinned! Thanks so much for linking up to #recipeoftheweek. There's a fresh linky live now - would love you to pop over and join in with another fab recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x