Tuesday 7 February 2017

Bramley Apple Week - Bramley Apple and Plum Crumble

We all love a good pudding and this week it is time to celebrate one of my favourite ingredients for a good, comforting pudding, the fantastically versatile Bramley Apple.

The Bramley Apple is a traditional cooking apple. Its bitterness settles to a deliciously sweet flavour once cooked and unlike eating apples it stays full of flavour. Bramley apples can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes making it a great all rounder and with them being at their best, now is a perfect time to start cooking with them. Today I am going to share with you one of our favourite puddings, Bramley Apple and Plum Crumble. The trusty crumble is a pudding that can be adapted easily to taste and can be used with a wide variety of fruits. It can be served with cream, custard, ice cream and even yogurt, the possibilities are endless!


Aldi currently have Bramley apples in store and priced at just 99p for 4 apples (approx 500 - 550g) they are cheap enough to buy a few packs, stew the apples, eat some and freeze some for another day.

This is what I did...

Bramley Apple and Plum Crumble

Ingredients

400g plums
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar/sweetener
50g Norpak lighter
10g ground almonds

Method

Pre heat the oven to 180C

1 - Peel and core the Bramley apples, slice and remove the stones from the plums and place the fruit in a pan and heat over a medium heat for 5 minutes

2 - Remove the fruit from the heat and stir in the ground cinnamon and 1 tbsp of sweetener or sugar

3 - Pour the fruit into an oven proof dish

4 - Place the flour in a mixing bowl and add 1 tbsp of sugar or sweetener, ground almonds and the light butter and rub in the butter until you have a breadcrumb consistency

5 - Scatter the crumble topping over the fruit and place in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until browned off


This crumble is a perfect way to end a meal, especially on a cold, winters evening. 


Enjoy x


Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

Hijacked By Twins
Hijacked By Twins
Casa Costello

11 comments:

  1. As soon as I read this title I thought this is something I have to make. I just love crumble. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples remind me of the fall. So now this recipe is reminding me of the best time of the year and it just got me super sad - WOMP WOMP! hahahahaa! Fall couldn't come soon enough! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous, a perfect way to end a meal, as you say. I need to hurry to make a recipe with bramley apples before the bramley apple week finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yum! I've had apple crumble before (obvs) and I've had plum crumble, but I am not sure I've ever had plum AND apple crumble - will have to try that combo! Thanks for linking it up to #CookBlogShare! Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, LOVE crumble. It is such perfect comfort food in a dessert form isn't it? Also a great pudding to make that is cheap and filling x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up to #BakeoftheWeek x

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, that looks so good! Apples and plums sounds like a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This apple and plums crumble looks tasty.
    Thanks so much for stopping by the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crumble just has to be my favourite dessert and I love the sound of the plum and apple combo you've used here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fruit crumble Kirsty, and yet I'ce never tried it with the apple and plum. I'll have to give it a whirl it sounds so good.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like the perfect comfort dessert Kirsty! I love Bramley Apples - that tartness is wonderful! Thanks again for joining in with #BakeoftheWeek

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x