Thursday 2 February 2017

#SimplySeasonal February 2017

Welcome to February's #SimplySeasonal!

Last month I started this new monthly feature and blog party to celebrate all seasonal ingredients. Following Mother Nature and using the fruits and vegetables that are at their best is not only a delicious way to cook throughout the year but can also be a more economical way of cooking. Fruit and vegetables that are in season tend to be cheaper in the shops and if you have enough room you can even have some of them growing in the garden.

Before I tell you what fruit and vegetables are at their best this month let me show you what tasty recipes were shared in January.


I love kale at this time of year and the Pesto Kale Salad that I added to the linky has become a favourite dish. Since making this I have been adding kale more and more to salads.

Basement Bakehouse shared an easy way to transform a high calorie pizza into a vegetable, healthy based pizza. This Easy Peasy 30 Minute Cauliflower Pizza is a must try!

Soups are perfect for this time of year. Dragons and Fairy Dust shared this deliciously seasonal Parsnip and Cauliflower Soup and reasons why they are also eating with the seasons!

The second recipe that I shared featured more kale. This Naked Coleslaw is both syn free for anyone following the Slimming World plan and contains only low FODMAP foods so you know that it is going to be packed with goodness!


The Madhouse Family Reviews shared a Finnish dish that is one that I want to try. The Lanttulaatikka is a dish of mashed swede which has been finished with a crunchy topping and then baked in the oven. This is a perfect side dish for a Sunday dinner!

Allotment 2 Kitchen is another blog that celebrates all things seasonal. This Savoury Chestnut, Rainbow Carrots and Lentil Cake not only sounds delicious but also looks stunning and would be a fantastic centre piece on any table.

When it is cold a good baked meal is such a comforting dinner. Basement Bakehouse shared this tasty syn free Loaded Leek and Potato Bake. If you like leek and potato soup then this is the baked equivalent, complete with bacon and loaded with cheese this is pure comfort on a plate!

Pasta dishes are always a winner in this house and the following recipe from Kate on Thin Ice is one that I definitely want to try. This Gluten Free, Sweet Potato Ravioli is so full of flavour and taking just 35 minutes to prepare and cook makes it a great mid week meal.


The Madhouse Family Reviews must have read my mind with the following recipe. This recipe is my ideal way to serve Brussels Sprouts and I am sure you will agree that these Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Bacon sound delicious for any time of year!

Burns Night is a favourite celebration of ours and Foodie Quine shows us how to celebrate in style and shared her Scotch Beef and Haggis Meatloaf with Whisky Neeps. Everything about this dish appeals, especially with a wee dram!

Searching for Spice shared a bowlful of goodness with her Sausage, Lentil and Vegetable Soup. This bowl of warming soup is not only full of flavour and goodness but is fantastic for your food budget. This is one that both the kids and I would love!

Finally GiGi Eats Celebrities shared what was in her food basket. With all of these delicious foods you can make so many tempting meals!

Thank you to everyone for joining in during January. Now onto February! Fruit and vegetables that are at their best this month are:
  • Apples
  • Bramley Apples
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Cauliflower
  • Celeriac
  • Celery 
  • Chicory
  • Clementine
  • Grapefruit
  • Jerusalem Artichoke
  • Kale
  • Leeks
  • Lemons
  • Oranges
  • Parsnips
  • Purple Sprouting Broccoli
  • Rhubarb
  • Swede
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Turnips
As with all linky parties there are a couple of 'rules'. They are:
  • Add the badge below to your post so others can find us
  • Comment on the HOST post in the linky
  • Comment on some other posts and share the love!
I will visit all of the posts to check out your recipes and comment on your posts as well as Tweeting your posts, pinning on a new Pintrest board and adding to Stumbled Upon.

I cannot wait to see what seasonal delights you have been cooking up!

Enjoy x

Hijacked By Twins

14 comments:

  1. Such lovely recipes! I try to cook seasonally as much as possible, so love the monthly list of what is in season. I am curious - what's swede?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a root veg - sometimes known as rutabaga in other countries, Ali. :-)

      Delete
    2. I had a look and have seen you're from USA I think you call swedes Swedish turnips. They are like a turnip but are bigger and yellow. I'll tweet you a picture! x

      Delete
  2. That pizza looks delicious and I have to try the cauliflower soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does doesn't it, I also love broccoli pizza base. Thank you for joining in with #SimplySeasonal x

      Delete
  3. Lovely round up and some great recipes for this time of year! I'm working on a few sweet recipes at the moment but will do my best to join in later this month x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet recipes are also welcome! I've got a few bramley apple recipes planned x

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic selection of yums this month!

    We mostly eat seasonally here in Slovenia too - and locally. I've never seen a swede here though, more's the pity. We have mostly brassicas, carrots, potatoes, black turnips, celery, alliums, and tons of salad. Everyone eats salad, no matter what the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh black turnips! I have not seen them before. Brassicas are a favourite of mine, in fact I love most vegetables x

      Delete
  5. This selection really inspires me to get in the kitchen to cook up a storm and great to use products in season and shop that way too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to hear Kate! I love to inspire others to get cooking! x

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love the idea of this seasonal link up, and how poignant that you should start this at a time when supermarkets are limiting us to 1 iceberg lettuce each and courgette, peppers, broccoli and cabbage look to be on the agenda for rationing too...just goes to show us how we come to expect fresh veg on tap, in season, or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also saw that on the news this morning and have noticed less lettuce and courgettes in the shops. When we went shopping today we could not get any fresh tomatoes. But I decided that this year we were going to eat more seasonal to enjoy what is at its best but to also save money x

      Delete
  7. I love this challenge, thanks for hosting. I am sharing another seasonal recipe this time made with Parsnips.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x