Monday 6 February 2017

Cypriot New Potato Salad

One of my favourite vegetables to use has to be the new potato. As soon as new potato season arrives they are my go to potato. However, as we know, in the UK we do not have new potatoes all year round, we simply do not have the weather for them. Thankfully Cyprus does and thanks to Tesco we can enjoy them right now!


These deliciously versatile potatoes have come straight from sunny Cyprus and are of the 'Spunta' variety. The Spunta potato has a lovely yellow skin and is a fantastic all rounder potato but in my opinion, it is perfect for salads! Their mild, buttery, earthy flavours mean that they are a potato that will go with vegetables, meats and even fish. They are the perfect potato for when you are short of time as all they need is a wash and they are ready to be cooked. They can be steamed, boiled, baked and even made into chips.

As I said before my favourite way to use Cypriot new potatoes has to be in a potato salad. Forget buying a tub of potato salad, once you have tried my healthy potato salad there will be no going back!

This is what I did...

Cypriot New Potato Salad

Ingredients

500g Tesco Cypriot new potatoes, halved and quartered
100g tenderstem broccoli
100g fine green beans
4 eggs
1 can of tuna in spring water
Fresh chives
Manchego cheese
150g fat free natural yogurt
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Method

1 - Bring a pan of salted water to the boil

2 - Blanch the tenderstem broccoli and green beans in the boiling water for 3 minutes

3 - Remove the tenderstem broccoli and green beans from the water with a slotted spoon, place in a colander and rinse under cold water and place on one side

4 - Place the Cypriot new potatoes in the pan of boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes

5 - While the potatoes are simmering place the eggs in a pan of water and bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes, drain and place in a bowl of cold water

6 - Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and leave to cool slightly

7 - To make the dressing place the yogurt, mustard powder, apple cider vinegar and 1tbsp fresh chopped chives in a jar, put on the lid and shake vigorously until all of the ingredients are combined

8 - Place the potatoes, tenderstem broccoli and green beans in a mixing bowl and pour over the dressing

9 - Mix thoroughly, I find it better to use my hands to make sure all of the ingredients are covered in the dressing

10 - Remove the shells from the hard boiled eggs and slice in half

11 - Serve the potato salad with tuna flakes, egg, shavings of Manchego cheese and a garnish of fresh, chopped chives


This potato salad makes the perfect side dish to a meal or as a meal in its own right with a slice of fresh bread. As soon as barbecue weather comes along this potato salad will be the ideal addition to the buffet table.


Cypriot new potatoes are available now until the end of March so you can enjoy the delicious flavours of summer even on a cold and dreary winters day. Perfect! They come in 750g bags for £1.25 and you can even buy them loose!


So, if you are like me and cannot wait for the flavours of summer get a bag of these next time you are shopping!


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

Pop over to Foodies100 to see how other bloggers have used these fantastic potatoes!

Also sharing with...

Hijacked By Twins
Link up your recipe of the week

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this salad. Yum! Thanks for sharing, Kirsty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks and sounds scrumptious! I love a good potato salad!! Love that you link up with us at The Blended Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Cypriot New Potatoes are fab aren't they - I found they worked very well in a traybake too!! I can just imagine how lovely they would taste in this delicious sounding salad. Thanks for linking it up to #CookBlogShare this week! :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really delicious! I grew up not liking potato salad as they always had too much mayonnaise and were just too cold. I made my own a few years ago and discovered that actually I do like them and this looks like one I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting combination!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat fish, but my husband does and he would love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a lovely meal and might even be something new I could convince my kids to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x