Wednesday 3 May 2017

Cinco de Mayo

This week is one of my favourite excuses for a feast. On Friday it is the Mexican fiesta Cinco de Mayo! Many people believe that Mexico and the USA celebrate Mexico's independence on Cinco de Mayo but that is not true! The reason that people celebrate Cinco de Mayo is to commemorate Mexico's victory over France, who had invaded Mexico. People celebrate with mariachi music, parties, food, margaritas and cerveza!

What is there not to love?

To join in with the celebrations I will be preparing a banquet fit for any Mexican fiesta. Thankfully Aldi are getting into the Mexican spirit and have some fantastic offers on Old El Paso Mexican dinner kits as well as the ingredients you need to make a good old guacamole in their Super 6 offer. Today I am going to tell you about the great Mexican products that I have got to celebrate Cinco de Mayo from Aldi.


All of the following Old El Paso products are priced at just £1.75, needless to say I got stocked up!
They also have other food and drink that will help you to create a mighty Mexican feast:
  • Mexican lime and coconut sparkling drink (which is so refreshing!)
  • Sombrero tequila cerveza (beer)
  • Rice pouches that are quick and easy to heat up
  • Tortilla wraps, because you can never have enough!
Last weekend we decided to get the Mexican party started by having a Mexican inspired meal. The children had the quesadillas made with chicken while we had some crispy fajitas and the Mexican on pot rice dish.



To go with the Mexican dishes you need to have a good guacamole. I love to make a fresh guacamole, you can make it according to taste and can easily adapt it to suit different tastes.

This is what I did...


Guacamole

Ingredients

2 avocado, stone removed and the flesh scooped out
1 small onion, finely chopped
cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
lime
Salt to season

Method

1 - Chop the avocado flesh in small cubes and place in a bowl

2 - Add the finely chopped onion, cherry tomatoes and coriander to the avocado

3 - Mix all of the ingredients together

4 - Stir in the juice from the lime and season to taste


This guacamole recipe is so quick and easy to make and once you have made it once you will not go back to buying pre made guacamole.

If you have any leftover guacamole after your Cinco de Mayo festivities it is delicious served with mushrooms, egg and smoked salmon on toast!


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

Disclosure: This is a collaborative post

5 comments:

  1. I love guacamole, it's a shame the price is rocketing at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds gorgeous Kirsty, I have to admit I've never tried making guacamole myself but reading your recipe it's onviously incredibly easy.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love guacamole recipes - I can next have enough of it and it's so much nicer than any of the bought ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't have a party without a good guacamole, especially one involving Mexican style dishes! Great recipe Kirsty:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I adore guacamole and your looks like a rather fab one :-) Eb x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x