Wednesday 24 May 2017

Tomato and Basil Soup topped with Quinoa

I love a good homemade soup. They are not only easy to make but when you make soup yourself you know exactly what has gone into making it. My favourite flavour combination for soup has to be the classic tomato and basil. This soup contains so much goodness and is full of delicious flavours.

This is what I did...

Tomato and Basil Soup topped with Quinoa

Ingredients

1 large shallot, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
500g tomato passata
250mls vegetable stock
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Quinoa to top

Soup Maker Method

1 - Place all of the ingredients into the soup maker and set to the smooth setting or set the timer to 25 minutes

Pan Method

1 - Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and gently saute the shallots for 5 minutes over a medium heat

2 - Add the chopped carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes

3 - Pour in the tomato passata, vegetable stock and bring to a gentle boil

4 - Reduce the heat to minimum, add the chopped basil and simmer for 10 minutes

5 - Allow the mixture to cool slightly before placing in a blender and blitzing into a smooth soup


Top the soup with some cooked quinoa. I used a pre cooked pouch of red and white quinoa from Merchant Gourmet. But you could add any grains that you would like or beans for added protein.


Enjoy x

Pin me for later!


Hijacked By Twins

5 comments:

  1. What a delicious and quick soup and, being a bit quinoa obsessed, I absolutely love the idea of serving it with quinoa (I don't think my kids would share my enthusiasm, though they'd love the soup on its own). #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomato basil is one of my favorite soups :) Adding quinoa is such a great idea to add some protein!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tomato and basil soup, and the addition is quinoa is great - makes it such a filling meal, doesn't it? Yours looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always consider soup to be a winter dish..... although tomato seems much lighter! Loving the quinoa addition though....... I imagine it added an amazing additional texture (as well as some great nutrition) to the bowl x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think tomato and basil soup is one of my favourites - and topping it with some quinoa is a great idea - a lovely change for dunking a slice of bread in.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x