Wednesday 17 May 2017

#NationalVegetarianWeek - Mexican Spiced Butternut Squash Noodle Stir Fry

As you know, I love a good foodie celebration and this week is no exception! This week it is National Vegetarian Week. I am not a vegetarian but I do love vegetarian meals and this week is a good excuse to try some new veggie meals.


National Vegetarian Week is to promote how truly versatile and delicious fresh vegetables are. Even The Hairy Bikers are going veggie this week. We all know that we should eat more vegetables and how good they are for us but often finding new ways to incorporate vegetables into meals and be the stars of the dish is the challenge. Buying vegetables are also a great way to save money on your weekly shopping and if you have enough room growing your own is such a rewarding thing to do.

This recipe is all about savouring the vegetables and adding a little spice that will compliment this meal perfectly.

This is what I did...

Mexican Spiced Butternut Squash Noodle Stir Fry

Ingredients

1 butternut squash made into noodles if you do not have a spiraliser many supermarkets such as Aldi sell pre made noodles
350g mixed vegetables, I used sugar snap peas, baby sweetcorn, tenderstem broccoli and Chantenay carrots
1 red pepper, sliced
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
Spray oil
Fajita mixed spices

Method

1 - Heat a wok or large saute pan

2 - Once the pan is hot spray a covering of spray oil and add all of the vegetables


3 - Gently stir fry for 5 minutes before adding the chickpeas and a sprinkling of fajita spices, add the amount according to taste

4 - Mix all of the ingredients together and stir fry for a further 5 minutes before serving


I simply adore the vibrant colours that are in this dish, how could you resist such a colourful meal? I served this quick and easy Mexican inspired stir fry with a side serving of my homemade guacamole which accompanied the spicy vegetables perfectly.


For some more vegetarian inspiration check my favourite vegetarian meals from Hijacked By Twins...



What will you be trying this National Vegetarian Week?

Enjoy x

Pin me for later!

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting veggie recipe, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have all my favourite vegetables in this! I am trying to eat more vegetarian meals - was very pleased my husband enjoyed cauli rice #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldnt have thought of using fajita spices on a vegetable stir fry but what a good idea. I bet it really made the flavour zing. Thanks for sharing on #CookBlogShare Im sure most of us could all do with a bit more veg in our diets

    ReplyDelete
  4. So tasty Kirsty, I love the idea of spiralising Buttternut squash. Definitely a recipe for me to try. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some places keep it soft and romantic while others make it like a fiesta. Once again, it just depends on the mood of the people within the group. phoenix Mexican restaurant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I do love to hear what you think and try to reply to as many as I can x